What are the best VPNs for Popcorn Time?
If you want to stay invisible while streaming videos from Popcorn Time, you need a reliable VPN. In this article you will find the most valuable information about the best VPN for Popcorn Time.
Before starting, let's remember some interesting facts: Popcorn Time is a free application that allows you to stream movies, and music via P2P BitTorrent client protocol. It was developed in 2014 by Argentinian developers, and since then, it became trendy around the world. It works similar to torrenting platforms, but it has its own media player, so you don't need to wait while the download process will be over. You can press “Play,” and the movie will start streaming straight away. Today, you can find almost any video on a Popcorn Time platform.
Everything would be perfect, but many countries have banned or limited the usage of Popcorn Time and Torrenting.
If you don't want to break the law of copyrights and get fined with a huge fine, we recommend you to use a virtual private network (VPN). It will hide your IP and encrypt your connection.
Our top selections list for the best VPN for popcorn time are quite short. We put there only three of the best VPN providers. Of course, we could make a list of TEN or TWENTY services, but we believe that those three providers are the most worth to be on our top list.
If you do not wish to read through the article or find yourself short for time, then here is a summary of the best VPNs for PopCorn time for you that offers enough details to pick the top VPN related to your budget and privacy expectations:
- ExpressVPN – considers of being one of the best VPN in the market. It offers ultra-fast internet connection, high data encryption, and a reasonable price. It is our TOP pic for VPN for Popcorn Time.
- NordVPN – our second selection for Popcorn time is NordVPN. It also offers fast servers and a secured internet connection — an excellent choice for an affordable price.
- CyberGhostVPN – if you are the beginner in the virtual private networks, CyberGhostVPN will be a great choice. Due to its super user-friendly user interface, you will navigate it easily.
- IvacyVPN – promised to give you complete security online with secure encryption methods and the capability to unblock Popcorn Time
- ProtonVPN – Even though it is a smaller name in the business but it nullifies all of its critics with its state of the art security/privacy protocols available at a price starting from $4/month;
1. ExpressVPN the Number One Choice to Stream Popcorn Time
(Excellent – 4.8/5)
$6.67 (-49% deal)
Even though Popcorn Time is a great way to watch the top shows and movies for free, but it can all fall down ever so quickly when due to specific restrictions imposed by the ISP and the regional authorities. But thanks to ExpressVPN and its complete collection of more than 3000 servers that bypass geo-blocking without breaking the slightest bit of sweat. It does even more than that as you can open Netflix from any region you want to watch your favorite content that is not accessible on your regional Netflix and available on some other such as Netflix USA.
This ability for Express is backed by its ability to generate high-grade internet speed with endless allowance on bandwidth to stream videos in 4K technology. If that isn’t enough for you, then Express does all of that while offering you complete anonymity online with military-level 256-bit encryption. The fact that services as powerful as Netflix are not able to detect the presence of a VPN user on their network is made possible with ExpressVPN’s proficiency to mask the user’s IP address.
Assisted by the privacy-centric regulations of the British Virgin Islands, Express maintains a no-log policy and makes sure that no user data is ever written on any sort of hard drive. The kill switch can block all internet traffic if you have enabled the feature, and for some odd reason, you have been disconnected from the VPN’s server.
You can use ExpressVPN on your Windows, Mac & Linux computers, Android & iOS devices, and other devices such as gaming consoles via routers, and smart TVs. Not only that, you can use your account on a maximum of 5 different platforms at the same time.
Express has an extensive customer care program that includes features like a 24/7 live chat, simple tutorials to explain how the VPN works, and an email ticketing program to discuss the problem in detail.
Get ExpressVPN today by selecting one of the subscription plans mentioned in the list:
- 15 months offer for $6.67/month with a 30-day money-back guarantee;
- 6 months package for just $9.99/month with a 30-day reimbursement;
- The one month program that starts at $12.95/month and can be canceled at any time;
|Compatible with many devices and platforms||High price|
|High level of security||Configuration limits|
|24/7 customer service||No ad blocker|
2. NordVPN – the best value for the money that suits for torrenting and online streaming
(Excellent – 4.9/5)
$3.49/month (-70% deal)
With NordVPN and its broad range of 5400+ ultra-fast servers all around the globe, you can not only open Popcorn Time, but access other platforms such as Hulu and Netflix, and play any video game you want with unlimited bandwidth and
High-Definition quality. These servers are fully capable of bypassing geo-blocking made obligatory by the website or your government. Followed by that, if you are an avid fan of torrenting and feel that your ISP is throttling your internet, rendering it impossible to download your favorite content in peace, then not only does Nord bypasses ISP throttling, it unblocks your access to all the torrent sites in the world.
No one has a chance to find out what you are doing online, due to Nord’s no-logs rule, supported by the laws of its place of operations, Panama. Phishing or snooping attempts are quite prevalent when you use an open Wi-Fi, Nord’s CyberSec utility disallows any such actions on your device or data. It also keeps your identity hidden and impossible to decrypt with the 256-bit encryption and Double VPN. The kill switch features make sure that you do not use the internet without the VPN.
It is no surprise that Popcorn Time and Nord’s user-friendly application is available on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux(32,64). Nord also allows you to connect 6 devices with the help of a single login altogether.
Nord’s customer support program is divided into four different categories, including FAQs, general info, billing, and connectivity, followed by a live chat facility 24/7.
Start using Nord today by picking any of the plans that it offers to VPN enthusiasts, and all of them carry a 30-day refund policy.
- 3-Year offer at $3.49/month;
- 2-Year plan at $4.99/month;
- 1-Year program at $6.99/month;
- 1-month program at $11.95/month;
Wide geographical reaches
Performance hits and drop connections
Double VPN for twice the encryption
A monthly plan might seem expensive
User-friendly and pleasant interface
Not clear ownership
3. CyberGhostVPN – Cheaper VPN solution that also works well on Popcorn Time
(Great – 4.5/5)
$2.75 (-80% deal)
If Popcorn Time is not available in your region due to some unfair government-level restriction, then the safest option for you is to start using CyberGhostVPN. With its network of privately-maintained 5900 servers across 90 countries, you can not only access Popcorn Time for free, but if you have a subscription for services like Amazon Prime Video and Netflix, then you can open any topical content of the same platform.
These servers have the ability to give you a steady internet connection speed with full power over data usage. With the help of its no-logs rule, IP spoofing technique, and the 256-bit AES encryption, there is absolutely no chance that anyone can locate you or find out what you are doing in the online(Internet) world.
With CyberGhost’s public Wi-Fi protection, no one can snoop on to your device, steal your data, and infect it with any malware/ransomware virus. The OpenVPN, IKEv2, and L2TP protocols further enhance the protection offered by 256-bit encryption.
You can access Cyber’s account on platforms such as Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, & Linux as much as 7 times from different devices, simultaneously or otherwise.
You have the complete freedom to select any of CyberGhost’s subscription plans that also offer a 45-day refund policy to allow you to check each of the VPN’s features:
- 2-Year plan at $3.69/month;
- 1-Year package for $5.99/month;
- A month offer for $12.99/month;
Offering one of the widest geographical reaches
Performance hits and slowdowns
A very informative user interface
Not many personalized options
Easy setup and quick to start
Rough reviews by third-parties
4. IvacyVPN – the cheapest VPN for savy users and it works!
(Great – 4.4/5)
30-Days Money Back Guarantee
With the ability to unblock access to services like Popcorn Time, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and ESPN, through its superfast network of 1000+ servers, Ivacy has what it takes to be one of the top VPNs to do anything, nevertheless, accessing Popcorn Time. All of this is possible through Ivacy’s aptitude for bypassing geo-restrictions and ISP throttling without the relevant authorities ever noticing an anomaly.
Despite functioning from Singapore, a place known for keeping an eye on the internet activities of its citizens, IvacyVPN does more than what it takes by preserving a no-logs policy. It also ensures privacy with features like 256-bit encryption, public Wi-Fi security, dedicated IP feature, IPv6 leak protection, and DDoS prevention. With such an impressive armory at your disposal through Ivacy, not your government nor any cybercriminal will be able to locate you and your data online.
Ivacy goes as far as allowing its account holder to access the account on 5 different platforms at the same time so that all the members of the family can use the VPN for their work at any time of the given day. Its app is downloadable on operating systems such as Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Linux, and several others.
Ivacy has live chat support available and ready to help with any product-related issue 24/7. In the end, you need to pick one of its packages and pay for it to start using Ivacy at once:
- 2-Year offer at $2.25/month with a 30-day money-back guarantee;
- 1-Year package for $3.33/month with a 30-day money-back assurance;
- 1-month package for $9.95/month with a 30-day money-back guarantee;
5. ProtonVPN – A Reliable Option to Access Popcorn Time from Europe
(Good – 4.3/5)
Proton started 2020 with a bang by adding 18 new servers to its disposal, making the count to 628 servers in 44 countries across the globe, that are proficient enough to bypass any type of geo-blocking to open Popcorn Time, from whatever region the user is trying to open the service. Beyond the skill to access Popcorn Time, ProtonVPN can unblock rigid websites such as Netflix US and Disney+ with an iron fist.
Even though ProtonVPN is new to the game and offers lesser internet connection speed than some other players, yet its security attributes are to die for, which are enabled due to it being able to operate from CERN, Switzerland, underneath the Earth’s surface(1000m). Proton keeps its users safe with protocols like AES-256 encryption, 4096-bit RSA for key exchange, and HMAC with SHA384 to authenticate messages. Other attributes such as IKEv2, DNS leak prevention, an instant kill switch, IPSec, OpenVPN, and forward secrecy make sure that you remain safe and private, under every circumstance.
Proton’s app is downloadable on formats like Windows, Android, Apple devices, and Linux. Unfortunately, it does not have extensions for the Chrome and Firefox browser.
ProtonVPN’s customer support is divided into 5 categories, including Account, General Info, Download Set-up, Access content, and Troubleshooting. Regrettably, Proton does not offer a live chat feature, but you can contact their agents through an email request system to find a solution to any VPN-related problem.
Followed by a 30-day return policy, you can start your online protection by opting one of Proton’s three distinctive plans:
- The Basic Plan: $4/month for 1-year. You can connect their account on 2 devices concurrently;
- The Plus Plan – $8/month for 1-year. The option to connect 5 different devices at the same time;
- The Visionary Plan – $24/month for 1-year and link the account on 10 devices simultaneously;
A guide on how to choose a reliable VPN for streaming videos safely on Popcorn Time
There are tons of various VPNs in the market, but it is getting a bit complicated to choose the right one. Some providers are offering VPS for free, and some of them are offering paid VPNs. We will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using a free VPN, but first of all, we would like to accent the paid ones.
how to choose the best vpn for popcorntime?
Some factors are crucial while choosing the right VPN for your Popcorn Time movie sessions:
Internet connection – First of all, the VPN service should be high-speed. Otherwise, you will be able to watch low-quality video content. Not many VPN can offer ultra-fast connection speed due to its IT infrastructure and outdated data encryption algorithms. Usually, internet speed can drop a little bit because the VPN data encryption engine must process all your traffic. If the VPN vendor is using the powerful servers and the newest data encryption software, then your internet speed will drop slightly. But if you will use a VPN with the weak processors and outdated encryption engine, your internet connection might drop significantly. We have tested hundreds of various VPN services and picked only the fastest VPN services.
Unlimited bandwidth – The second key factor which is very important is – unlimited bandwidth. Many VPN service provider does limit download and uploads bandwidth, so those kind of VPN services are worthless for popcorn time and torrenting. It is so strange because many VPN service providers are still offering those kinds of services, and many users buy it. We would never recommend you to buy a VPN with limited bandwidth. Two-five movies per month, and you will reach the limit.
P2P support – If the VPN provider does not support P2P protocol, it will not work with torrenting and popcorn time.
No-logs – The option “no-log” means that your VPN service provider doesn't gather the information on your online activities. Many VPN service providers located in Europe or the United States, must log the users' data by the law. It means that the government agencies can ask a VPN vendor to give a log file of the suspicious user's activity. If it appears that a particular user was downloading the copyrighted content, the user will get in trouble. We would recommend choosing the VPN service provider located in the offshore country (The Bahamas, British Virgin Islands). In that case, those companies are not affected by the laws, and they don't need to log users' activities. Also, check our best no-log VPN section.
Set up a VPN for PopcornTime in a 5 simple steps
One of the most straightforward endeavors one could hope to perform is setting up a VPN after subscribing to a reliable vendor, as mentioned above. Here are the steps to perform the procedure of setting up a new VPN app on a preferred device to start binging content through Popcorn Time:
popcorn how to start using with vpn?
- Available from the official website of the VPN that you have subscribed to, download the app for your PC or any other device;
- Install it and launch it by merely clicking on the app;
- Once you see the interface, simply enter the username and password that has been assigned to you and hit the “Enter” key;
- Select any server and press the connect tab;
- Open Popcorn Time’s app on the device and start using the service without any fear of internet throttling or surveillance;
Avoid free VPN service if you care about your privacy
There are many free VPNs on the market, but most of them are not suitable for watching popcorn time. There is the list of reasons why you should not use a free VPN.
- First of all, it is because that free VPNs are limiting traffic bandwidth. What is the point of using it if, after three downloaded movies, it will stop working?
- Another fundamental reason why a free VPN is not suitable for popcorn time is that the internet connection of free VPNs is limited. It will take for ages to download a dull movie. Uploading will be very slow, as well.
- The third reason why a free VPN is not a good option for popcorn time is that it collects your browsing data. They sell it to third-party companies, such as marketing agencies, data trading, and similar companies. They should make money somehow.
- Moreover, free VPNs like HolaVPN do not encrypt your browsing data. It can be accessible to hackers and governmental institutions. If you are going to download and watch copyrighted content, you should be sure that your data encryption is military-grade.
- It is worth to mention, that annoing pop-up ads appear during your browsing session with a free VPN.
- Finally, if you will install a free VPN software on your computer, your PC might become a VPN server for other users in the same networks. Very often, free VPNs work as a community-based model. So you are never going to know what kind of websites will open via your computer and IP. Maybe someone will do the internet frauds via your IP. So, we highly recommend you to keep away from free VPN services.
Bellow, there is a table of free and paid VPN comparison.
|Options||free VPN||paid VPN|
|Changes your IP||✔||✔|
|Fast internet connection||✗||✔|
|No-logs, no tracking||✗||✔|
|No annoying ads||✗||✔|
|Wide range of server selection||✗||✔|
The most important reasons you need a VPN on PopcornTime
Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a service that encrypts your internet connection and changes your IP. In other words, it makes a connection via third-server, which makes all the privacy tasks and features.
If you want to use a Popcorn Time or do torrenting, VPN is a must. Otherwise, you are risking to get punished by breaking the law of copyright, authorship, and intellectual property. Many people around the world were fined with enormous bills only because they did not use a VPN.
The internet service provider can not monitor the VPN users. It cannot see what pages you are visiting and what you are streaming or downloading. They only can see hat you are using a VPN server and just all. Moreover, Virtual private network shares one IP with many more users. VPN makes it almost impossible to identify you in case your ISP would try to do it.
At the moment, popcorn time and torrenting are restricted in many countries due to the high level of various copyright violations. If you live in a country where torrenting is permitted, you also should use a VPN.
streaming videos and torrenting without a VPN can get you in severe trouble
So, in short words, streaming videos and torrenting without a VPN can get you in severe trouble with specialized government agencies.
Also, it is worth to mention that Popcorn Time offers its VPN service, which not that good as our recommended solutions and very expensive. You can ignore it and close the offer window.
VPN is not only for Popcorn Time
VPN is a great tool for those who travel a lot. For example, if you going on a vacation and late in the evening you would like to watch some British humor at BBC iPlayer from the hotel of GranCanaria. No problem, it will work fine.
Also, VNN is great to do some banking tasks while you are on the go and often using public wi-fi hotspots. Hackers are waiting in such a places victims like you. It is super easy for them to read your banking or credit card details and steal your money. VPN encrypts all your internet traffic and hackers cannot read it anymore.
Many people are using VPN for gaming. For example, if you would like to play “Fornite” with USA folks, but location restrictions will not you do that. You already know what to do. Just change your IP with the help of a VPN to the American one and go ahead.
Another group pf people are using VPNs for watching American Netflix, Hulu, Sling or other IPTV services on their smart TVs. Moreover, it used with an Amazon Fire TV stick. VPN is a great option to cut the cord with your cable TV provider and start streaming television over the internet.
The most popular pattern of VPN usage is torrenting. In many countries torrenting is illegal, but people still want free movies, software, and music. VPN is a great tool for safe torrenting.
Finally, VPN is used for unbanning popular video chats like Omegle, Chatroulette, Ome.TV, Camsurf, Chat alternative and others.
There are much more ways how you can use a VPN, it depends on your creativity. In one sentence we can say, that VPN gives you freedom of internet usage without traces of your presence.
If you like to watch movies or serials on Popcorn application or torrenting, without a decent VPN, you are putting yourself in considerable risk to be fined by the law of copyright violations. Many people across the globe already have been fined for that. We would not recommend using popcorn time without our carefully picked VPNs. There is the table below with the technical characteristics of the VPNs. Take the best you like, and you will not be disappointed.
|Encryption and protocols|
|Internet connection speed|
|IP Leak protection||✔||✔||✔|
|Money back guarantee||30 days||30 days||45 days|
|Read a review||review||review||review|
|Paid version from||$6.67/month||$3.49/month||$2.75/month|
- ^ From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Popcorn Time. Find out more about the Popcorn Time.
- ^ From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. P2P. What is P2P?.
- ^ From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. BitTorrent. What else you should knoe about the BitTorrent?.
- ^ From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Virtual private network. Technical exponation about the Virtual private network.
- ^ From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Encryption. Why do we need an Encryption?.