Popcorn Time is a free application that allows you to stream movies, and music via P2P BitTorrent client protocol. It was developed in 2014 by Argentinian developers, and since then, it became trendy around the world. It works similar to torrenting platforms, but it has its own media player, so you don't need to wait while the download process will be over. You can press “Play,” and the movie will start streaming straight away. Today, you can find almost any video on a Popcorn Time platform.
Everything would be perfect, but many countries have banned or limited the usage of Popcorn Time and Torrenting.
If you don't want to break the law of copyrights and get fined with a huge fine, we recommend you to use a virtual private network (VPN). It will hide your IP and encrypt your connection. In this article, we are going to review the best VPNs for popcorn time and introduce you with some interesting facts about internet privacy and security.
If you don't want to read all the articles, there is a summary of the best VPNs for PopCorn time.
- ExpressVPN – considers of being one of the best VPN in the market. It offers ultra-fast internet connection, high data encryption, and a reasonable price. It is our TOP pic for VPN for Popcorn Time.
- NordVPN – our second selection for Popcorn time is NordVPN. It also offers fast servers and a secured internet connection — an excellent choice for an affordable price.
- CyberGhostVPN – if you are the beginner in the virtual private networks, CyberGhostVPN will be a great choice. Due to its super user-friendly user interface, you will navigate it easily.
What is a VPN, and why do I need it for PopCorn time?
Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a service that encrypts your internet connection and changes your IP. In other words, it makes a connection via third-server, which makes all the privacy tasks and features.
If you want to use a Popcorn Time or do torrenting, VPN is a must. Otherwise, you are risking to get punished by breaking the law of copyright, authorship, and intellectual property. Many people around the world were fined with enormous bills only because they did not use a VPN.
The internet service provider can not monitor the VPN users. It cannot see what pages you are visiting and what you are streaming or downloading. They only can see hat you are using a VPN server and just all. Moreover, Virtual private network shares one IP with many more users. VPN makes it almost impossible to identify you in case your ISP would try to do it.
At the moment, popcorn time and torrenting are restricted in many countries due to the high level of various copyright violations. If you live in a country where torrenting is permitted, you also should use a VPN.
streaming videos and torrenting without a VPN can get you in severe trouble
So, in short words, streaming videos and torrenting without a VPN can get you in severe trouble with specialized government agencies.
Also, it is worth to mention that Popcorn Time offers its VPN service, which not that good as our recommended solutions and very expensive. You can ignore it and close the offer window.
VPNs that suits best for Popcorn time
Our top selections list for the best VPN for popcorn time are quite short. We put there only three of the best VPN providers. Of course, we could make a list of TEN or TWENTY services, but we believe that those three providers are the most worth to be on our top list.
You might already know, that ExpressVPN is a very popular service around the globe and trusted by thousands of users. Maybe this VPN is not the cheapest, but we can admit that the price is worth quality. With this VPN you can be sure that the connection speed will be perfect from any point of the world.
You don't need to worry about privacy and security. The encryption level is amazing and it does not affect the connection speed at all. You can browse adult websites, unblock Netflix, Netflix, Amazon Prime, do banking tasks without the fear.
Express VPN supports multi-device function and can work on various operating systems and devices: Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Linux, open-source routers, BlackBerrys, Kindle Fire, Chromebooks, Barnes & Noble Nook tablets, Apple TV, Fire TV, PlayStation, Android TV box and others.
Moreover, there are available add-ons for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari for even better browsing experience.
Also, you don't need to worry about the bandwidth, which is unlimited. No additional fee for every single option.
So this VPN we would consider as one of the best VPN for online streaming (Netflix, Netflix).
|Compatible with many devices and platforms||High price|
|High level of security||Configuration limits|
|24/7 customer service||No ad blocker|
It is also important to mention that you have the choice of 30-day money-back guarantee, so there are literally no risks to the user – you can get your money back if something goes wrong.
Everybody likes NordVPN for a very friendly and modern user interface. It offers a wide range of server locations around the world. NordVPN servers are located in 62 different countries and contain more than 5000 servers.
Nord Virtual Private Network is a great choice for those who want to visit sites that are unavailable in their own country (for example porn websites) and to stream video (Netflix, Netflix).
We are have picked NordVPN as the second best VPN for streaming video online.
The main features of NordVPN:
- NordVPN secures user internet activity from hackers and malicious software, including Ad Blocker. In order to have the highest possible level of security, this VPN uses double data encryption. In other words, the data that goes between your device and the server is encrypted twice using Double VPN technology. The features include Military-grade Encryption, CyberSec, and Double VPN.
- Privacy protection features ensure that no one can track users’ online activity. The features include a Strict no logs policy, Automatic Kill Switch, DNS leak protection, and Onion Over VPN.
- NordVPN allows users to bypass geographical restrictions and censorship. It offers more than 5000 servers worldwide, Streaming, SmartPlay, P2P and speed features.
- The VPN also offers apps across all the major platforms and multiple devices, as well as extensions for Chrome and Firefox browsers.
NordVPN is compatible with Android, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Linux. It has browser add-ons for Google Chrome and Firefox. The VPN service also supports Windows Phone, open-source and branded routers.
Wide geographical reaches
Performance hits and drop connections
Double VPN for twice the encryption
A monthly plan might seem expensive
User-friendly and pleasant interface
Not clear ownership
CyberGhost is another great VPN service which suits perfectly for streaming online video and browsing adult websites. We like CyberGhost for its reasonable price and great quality. It is not worse than ExpressVPN or NordVPN. The main difference is fewer server locations and servers.
Also, we should admit, that the interface of CyberGhost is just great and might be one of the best in the market.
CyberghostVPN has multi-level encryption and you can choose the best for your needs: PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, and IKEv2/IPSec.
Offering one of the widest geographical reaches
Performance hits and slowdowns
A very informative user interface
Not many personalized options
Easy setup and quick to start
Rough reviews by third-parties
How to start using Popcorn Time?
If you want to start using o popcorn time services, you need to visit an official website popcorntime.sh and download the application for your device. It is available for most common platforms: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV.
- Choose the software for your gadget's operating system;
- Download and Install the application;
- Install and launch a VPN application(recommended VPN: ExpressVPN, NordVPN or CyberGhost);
- Select the option “fastest server”;
- Test your IP address to make sure it is changed (https://whatismyipaddress.com/)
- Launch the popcorn time application;
- Select video quality (you will find it in a setting tab) according to your internet speed;
- Select what gender of movies you like to watch
- That's it. Enjoy your free content from popcorn time securely.
How to choose the best VPN for Popcorn Time?
There are tons of various VPNs in the market, but it is getting a bit complicated to choose the right one. Some providers are offering VPS for free, and some of them are offering paid VPNs. We will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using a free VPN, but first of all, we would like to accent the paid ones.
Some factors are crucial while choosing the right VPN for your Popcorn Time movie sessions:
First of all, the VPN service should be high-speed. Otherwise, you will be able to watch low-quality video content. Not many VPN can offer ultra-fast connection speed due to its IT infrastructure and outdated data encryption algorithms. Usually, internet speed can drop a little bit because the VPN data encryption engine must process all your traffic. If the VPN vendor is using the powerful servers and the newest data encryption software, then your internet speed will drop slightly. But if you will use a VPN with the weak processors and outdated encryption engine, your internet connection might drop significantly. We have tested hundreds of various VPN services and picked only the fastest VPN services.
The second key factor which is very important is – unlimited bandwidth. Many VPN service provider does limit download and uploads bandwidth, so those kind of VPN services are worthless for popcorn time and torrenting. It is so strange because many VPN service providers are still offering those kinds of services, and many users buy it. We would never recommend you to buy a VPN with limited bandwidth. Two-five movies per month, and you will reach the limit.
If the VPN provider does not support P2P protocol, it will not work with torrenting and popcorn time.
The option “no-log” means that your VPN service provider doesn't gather the information on your online activities. Many VPN service providers located in Europe or the United States, must log the users' data by the law. It means that the government agencies can ask a VPN vendor to give a log file of the suspicious user's activity. If it appears that a particular user was downloading the copyrighted content, the user will get in trouble. We would recommend choosing the VPN service provider located in the offshore country (The Bahamas, British Virgin Islands). In that case, those companies are not affected by the laws, and they don't need to log users' activities. Also, check our best no-log VPN section.
Is it possible to watch popcorn time with a free VPN?
There are many free VPNs on the market, but most of them are not suitable for watching popcorn time. There is the list of reasons why you should not use a free VPN.
- First of all, it is because that free VPNs are limiting traffic bandwidth. What is the point of using it if, after three downloaded movies, it will stop working?
- Another fundamental reason why a free VPN is not suitable for popcorn time is that the internet connection of free VPNs is limited. It will take for ages to download a dull movie. Uploading will be very slow, as well.
- The third reason why a free VPN is not a good option for popcorn time is that it collects your browsing data. They sell it to third-party companies, such as marketing agencies, data trading, and similar companies. They should make money somehow.
- Moreover, free VPNs like HolaVPN do not encrypt your browsing data. It can be accessible to hackers and governmental institutions. If you are going to download and watch copyrighted content, you should be sure that your data encryption is military-grade.
- It is worth to mention, that annoing pop-up ads appear during your browsing session with a free VPN.
- Finally, if you will install a free VPN software on your computer, your PC might become a VPN server for other users in the same networks. Very often, free VPNs work as a community-based model. So you are never going to know what kind of websites will open via your computer and IP. Maybe someone will do the internet frauds via your IP. So, we highly recommend you to keep away from free VPN services.
Bellow, there is a table of free and paid VPN comparison.
|Options||free VPN||paid VPN|
|Changes your IP|
|Fast internet connection|
|No-logs, no tracking|
|No annoying ads|
|Wide range of server selection|
If you like to watch movies or serials on Popcorn application or torrenting, without a decent VPN, you are putting yourself in considerable risk to be fined by the law of copyright violations. Many people across the globe already have been fined for that. We would not recommend using popcorn time without our carefully picked VPNs. There is the table below with the technical characteristics of the VPNs. Take the best you like, and you will not be disappointed.
How to set up a new VPN?
To set up a VPN it is a simple process and you don’t need any special computer knowledge. You just need to pick up a desired VPN provider and do the following steps. You are not risking, because of 30 days money back guaranty.
- Go to VPN service provider website: ExpressVPN, NordVPN or CyberGhostVPN
- Subscribe to service. You will receive a username and password.
- Press download the VPN software.
- Install it on your computers or smart devices or router.
- Enter username and password.
- Press Connect to the VPN server.
This process will take for you around 2 minutes. You will have 30 days money back guaranty if you will not be satisfied with the service. I think that you will be satisfied because we have picked only those VPNs which are trustful and worth attention.
Where else VPN is used for?
VPN is a great tool for those who travel a lot. For example, if you going on a vacation and late in the evening you would like to watch some British humor at BBC iPlayer from the hotel of GranCanaria. No problem, it will work fine.
Also, VNN is great to do some banking tasks while you are on the go and often using public wi-fi hotspots. Hackers are waiting in such a places victims like you. It is super easy for them to read your banking or credit card details and steal your money. VPN encrypts all your internet traffic and hackers cannot read it anymore.
Many people are using VPN for gaming. For example, if you would like to play “Fornite” with USA folks, but location restrictions will not you do that. You already know what to do. Just change your IP with the help of a VPN to the American one and go ahead.
Another group pf people are using VPNs for watching American Netflix, Hulu, Sling or other IPTV services on their smart TVs. Moreover, it used with an Amazon Fire TV stick. VPN is a great option to cut the cord with your cable TV provider and start streaming television over the internet.
The most popular pattern of VPN usage is torrenting. In many countries torrenting is illegal, but people still want free movies, software, and music. VPN is a great tool for safe torrenting.
There are much more ways how you can use a VPN, it depends on your creativity. In one sentence we can say, that VPN gives you freedom of internet usage without traces of your presence.
Our security team at Reviewed by Pro constantly tests new products in order to provide you with up-to-date information and reviews of the latest Internet security and antivirus applications, privacy solutions, recovery tools, and other utilities, not just for your Windows PC, but also for your Mac and Android devices.