In this article we are going to talk about the best VPN for Canada and the reasons you need it. As you already know, Canada has become a member of the Five Eyes Alliance, and specialized government agencies can monitor every online step you take. Besides, Torrenting has also become illegal in Canada. So if you want to download some movies or music files, you run the risk of being fined. Another bad news is that US Netflix is not accessible to Canadian citizens due to geo-blocking algorithms. So many restrictions and surveillance can seem like a total loss of internet privacy.
The best VPN for Canada in 2020
If you don't have enough time to go through the article, then we have compiled an overview of the top 5 VPNs to use in Canada for you:
- ExpressVPN – one of the best VPN on the market, very good connections speed, unblocks Netflix, very strong encryption and no log policy.
- NordVPN – great VPN for any user, unblocks Netflix from many countries, great user interface, a wide range of server selection around the globe, great support and no log policy.
- CyberGhostVPN – Works fine with Netflix from many countries, good connection speed, strong encryption, protection, and no log policy.
- IvacyVPN: Canadian VPN that provides coverage across 1000 servers in 100+ locations.
- ProtonVPN: Swiss-based VPN with ever-growing servers, that offers super-speed and unblocks every site in sight!
1. ExpressVPN – great VPN for torrenting, streaming Netflix and gaming for Canada people
|Price from||$6.67 (-49% deal)|
|Oder VPN with a discount|
|More information||ExpressVPN review|
Express the number one pick in our list of VPNs that can allow you to access anything, especially if you are living in Canada. It originated in 2009 from the British Virgin Islands, and it has been the go-to VPN for users who are looking to access banned content, download things that aren’t available in their region. As far as server coverage goes, ExpressVPN covers 3000+ servers in over 160 locations, spread across 94 countries. Each server’s internet connection speed goes as high as 100mbps that comes with limitless bandwidth as well.
As far as platform support goes, Express has apps for the following operating systems and devices:
- Android phones and TVs
- iPhones and iPad
You can operate the VPN in 5 devices at the same time with your account. This feature allows you to share your account’s information with your family and friends. ExpressVPN also offers 24/7 live support for their customers dealing with any technical issues. The no-log policy of Express goes well with the following security protocols that it has places for the safety of the users online:
- An automatic Kill switch
- Open VPN
- VPN split tunneling
- 256-bit encryption(Military-level)
- DNS leak prevention
Once you understand the cross-platform and multi-device support of ExpressVPN, the next step is to check its reasonable subscription packages that come with a full 30-day refund policy. Here are the plans:
- $6.67 each month for 1-year with 3 additional months for free;
- $9.99 each month for 6-months;
- $12.95 each month;
|Compatible with many devices and platforms||High price|
|High level of security||Configuration limits|
|24/7 customer service||No ad blocker|
2. NordVPN – one of the best VPN for Canada users overall
|Price from||$3.49 (-70% deal)
|Oder VPN with a discount|
|More information||NordVPN review|
NordVPN comes from Panama, and ever since its creation, it has slowly but surely became ExpressVPN’s biggest rival in regards to providing the best service worldwide to keep user data safe. While keeping a no-log policy and bypassing geo-restrictions, NordVPN is available across 5500 servers in 62 countries. The super-speed servers also offer unlimited bandwidth for streaming enthusiasts who want to access sites like Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+.
The best thing about Nord is its super-friendly interface that comes with all the native apps across each platform, which are as follows:
- Configured routers for gaming consoles, and other devices
You can avail of the apps of these platforms on 6 different devices at the same time with no restrictions whatsoever!
NordVPN provides across the board protection for its subscribers, which include the CyberSec anti-phishing utility. Some other encryption methods are as follows:
- Military-level AES encryption
- Double VPN
- Onion over VPN
- DNS leak protection and Kill switch
It is no surprise that NordVPN won the best customer service award for 2018 as it provides sublime and informative customer support, including FAQs, email ticketing, and how-to guides along with the live chat facility.
Here are the top subscription plans that Nord offers to its potential customer:
You can get the service by choosing the three package plans that come with a full 30-day money-back guarantee.
- $3.49 each month for 3-years, which you can pay after 36-months with a 30-day refund option;
- $4.99 each month for 2-years, which you can pay after 24-months with a 30-day refund option;
- $6.99 each month for 1-year, which you can pay after every 12-months with a 30-day refund option;
Wide geographical reaches
Performance hits and drop connections
Double VPN for twice the encryption
A monthly plan might seem expensive
User-friendly and pleasant interface
Not clear ownership
3. CyberGhost VPN – a service that can hide your IP and encrypt browsing data from praying eyes
|Price from||$2.75 (-80% deal)
|Oder VPN with a discount|
|More information||CyberGhost review|
Hailing from Romania, CyberGhost came into existence in 2004 and had been striving to become the best VPN in the world with its expanding server coverage of 5800 servers in 90+ countries. It all goes exceptionally well with the high-speed internet connection, no limit on bandwidth, and the ability to open any site in the world without any hassle.
If you are living in Canada and wish to watch Netflix US, which is unarguably the most extensive library of video content in the world, then CyberGhost can offer you the path to unblock it in Canada.
You can use CyberGhost on 7 devices with the information of a single subscription across multiple apps, which are as follows:
- Apple devices(TV, phones, and computers)
- Android devices (phones and smart TVs)
- Linux Ubuntu
- Amazon FireTV and Fire Stick
Other than the no-logs policy that is supported by the privacy protection laws of Romania, here are some of the other security options that offer you complete anonymity online:
- AES 256-bit encryption;
- IP masking;
- DNS leak prevention;
- Automatic kill switch and Split-Tunneling;
Each of the below-mentioned subscription plans come with a 45-day refund policy and 24/7 customer live chat support:
- $3.69 each month for 2-years;
- $5.99 each month for 1-year;
- $12.99 each month.
Offering one of the widest geographical reaches
Performance hits and slowdowns
A very informative user interface
Not many personalized options
Easy setup and quick to start
Rough reviews by third-parties
4. ProtonVPN – a solid and fast VPN service than can make Canadians online presence much safer
IvacyVPN is Canada’s own VPN that understand what the Canadian citizens need and how much trouble they go through to access the content that isn’t available in any part of the country. It offers a stringent no-log policy for users who feel worried about Canada’s intelligence-sharing coalition in the five-eyes alliance.
The 1000+ super-fast servers of Ivacy are spread across 100 locations all around the globe with unlimited bandwidth to compensate every little shortcoming.
Ivacy has apps in the following platforms, which you can use on 5 devices simultaneously through the information of a single subscription:
- Chrome and Firefox
Here are some of the notable encryption methods that are offered by IvacyVPN:
- Military-grade Encryption
- Internet Kill Switch
- Split Tunneling
- ISP Throttling prevention
- IPv6 Leak Protection
Here are the subscription packages of IvacyVPN that you come with a brilliant customer support service that includes ticket and email support, along with 24/7 live chat
- $2.25 each month for 2-years with a 30-day return policy;
- $3.33 each month for 1-year with a 30-day return policy;
- $9.95 each month with a 30-day return policy.
5. IvacyVPN – the cheapest VPN for Canada citizens that can be very useful
ProtonVPN’s whole infrastructure is impenetrable that is laid out in a Swiss-army shelter 1000m below the normal surface. It has ever-increasing 602 servers in 44 countries, which is not much, but it is still enough to unblock any restricted content or service in the world, no matter if you live in Canada or any other region of the world.
Proton has app compatibility with every major OS and device there is, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android devices, and Smart TVs.
The fact that it is Swiss-based means that no one can lay a hand on your user-log, and no one can force ProtonVPN to change its no-logs policy. Here are some of the security features that come with all of its subscriptions:
- Military-level encryption
- Split tunneling
- Tor Over VPN
- DNS leak protection and a Kill Switch
- PPTP and L2TP/IPSec
You can use ProtonVPN on as much as 10 devices at the same time, but it depends on the type of package you get. Here are package plans for the ProtonVPN:
- The Basic Plan is available at $4 each month, which you can use on 2 devices simultaneously.
- The Plus Plan is available at $8 each month, which involves support on 5 devices simultaneously.
- The Visionary Plan is available at $24 each month, which involves support on 10 devices simultaneously.
VPN became a necessary thing Canada
The Canadian government has adopted cybersecurity laws with many restrictions to prevent acts of terrorism. Many Canadian citizens do not accept it as a normal phenomenon and believe that it could be the limitation of human rights. Canada became a member of the intelligence alliance of “Five Eyes”. To this alliance belongs USA, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. It means that all the users’ activities on the internet might be monitored by special agencies.
The surveillance program is affecting every single citizen from the “Five eyes” countries alliance, especially certain groups of people such as activists, Muslims, and immigrants.
Please read the short list of the legislation:
- Copyright Modernization Act – This law requires that search engines and internet service providers (ISP) would gather the logs of user activity on the internet to fix the violation of copyrights of intellectual property.
- Antiterrorism Act 2015 – The Canadian Security Intelligence Service has acquired rights to break into any device that connects to the Internet.
- Protecting Canadians from Online Crime Act – It is the act of 'legal access' legislation, which lets The Canadian Security Intelligence Service to monitor and record activities on the Internet of the citizens of “Five Eyes” alliance.
For those people who fell that their privacy might be compromised, we would recommend using a VPN. It will encrypt your browsing data, hide your IP and even change your virtual location. It will prevent you from being monitored by your government and internet service provider. Moreover, it can protect your PC from various viruses and malware. A Virtual Private Network or what everyone refers to as a VPN is the technology that offers the serious means to keep you protected from online prying eyes by offering complete anonymity through various encryption methods such as IP masking and online attack prevention.
If you are wondering that how does a VPN keeps you protected, then the fact that if someone is tracking your every move online, then through hiding your IP address, a VPN can throw the interested parties off your tail for good. Not only that, a VPN has the utmost ability to access any content that is not available in your region due to some geo-restrictions or other policies.
It also offers protection from dangerous sites, which may infect your device with some viruses, malware, adware, or spyware. It does so by scanning the site and blocking your access before anything happens. If you wish to access content from sites like Netflix US, HBO GO, Hulu, and others, then a VPN with geo-blocking abilities can allow you to enter with unlimited bandwidth and exceptional connection speed.
Some VPNs offers features like an automatic Kill Switch that makes sure that you are protected all the time as it can kill the internet connection on your device if the VPN server ever gets disconnected due to some small issue like overloading.
VPN in Canada can be used in many ways
There is no other technology in the world that can give you across the board multitasking features like a VPN. A VPN can do much more than giving you the path to blocked content or hiding your online presence. Here are some of the things that a VPN can do with absolute authority:
- Keeps the Wi-Fi snoopers at bay when you use your device in a public place with an open Wi-Fi connection;
- Allows you to use torrent sites and download anything safely without ISP noticing such an activity;
- Access online shopping platform in different regions and shop at discounted rates;
- Participate in gaming competitions that aren’t accessible in your region;
- Opens path for services like Netflix USA that is not available for people living in the USA.
VPN service is legal in Canada
By reading this article you might think that you are might be trying to trick your government and bypass the legislation of the law, but that’s not true. VPN services are fully legitimate in Canada and not regulated by any law.
You Just need to know that some of the VPNs are also keeping log files and can provide them to the government authorities if will be asked. We don’t want to do anti-advertising for other VPN service providers for ethical reasons, but you should be choosing a VPN carefully.
Read further and you will learn how to choose the best VPN for Canada.
Choosing the best VPN for Canada
We have been reviewing VPNs for several years and have tested more than a hundred VPN services. Some of them are not worth a cent, some of them are over cost and some of them are useless for technical reasons. We did the evaluation of the best VPN for Canada by these criteria:
So don’t waste your time and get the best VPN for your needs in Canada.
Setting up a VPN for use in Canada
You do not need a particular skill to set up a new VPN on any device, nevertheless a computer. Here is the step-by-step guide to set up a new VPN after you subscribe to any service mentioned above and download the native app for your device:
- Download the VPN on your computer and launch it.
- Once you see the interface, it’ll ask for your username and password.
- Enter your username and password and click on Sign-in.
- Select any server you want to use and click on Connect.
- Enjoy using a VPN from Canada and unlock anything you wish!