The Canadian government has adopted cybersecurity laws with many restrictions to prevent acts of terrorism. Many Canadian citizens do not accept it as a normal phenomenon and believe that it could be the limitation of human rights. Canada became a member of the intelligence alliance of “Five Eyes”. To this alliance belongs USA, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. It means that all the users’ activities on the internet might be monitored by special agencies.
The surveillance program is affecting every single citizen from the “Five eyes” countries alliance, especially certain groups of people such as activists, Muslims, and immigrants.
Please read the short list of the legislation:
- Copyright Modernization Act – This law requires that search engines and internet service providers (ISP) would gather the logs of user activity on the internet to fix the violation of copyrights of intellectual property.
- Antiterrorism Act 2015 – The Canadian Security Intelligence Service has acquired rights to break into any device that connects to the Internet.
- Protecting Canadians from Online Crime Act – It is the act of 'legal access' legislation, which lets The Canadian Security Intelligence Service to monitor and record activities on the Internet of the citizens of “Five Eyes” alliance.
For those people who fell that their privacy might be compromised, we would recommend using a VPN. It will encrypt your browsing data, hide your IP and even change your virtual location. It will prevent you from being monitored by your government and internet service provider. Moreover, it can protect your PC from various viruses and malware.
If you don't have a time to read whole article, there is a table of summary of the best VPN for Canada
What is a VPN?
For those who don’t know what VPN is, we will shortly introduce. Virtual private network (VPN) is a service which lets to keep your privacy and security at the highest level.
VPN is adding an extra security layer of protection by encrypting your internet traffic, changing your IP address and protecting from malware. Also, it lets you bypass geo-blocking by changing your IP address and lets you to restricted content.
VPN server scans all the data and gives you clean traffic without any viruses, malware, spyware, and adware. VPN slightly reduces an internet connection speed, but it is worth to sacrifice it for your own privacy and safety. That’s why it is very important to pick a VPN service with a high internet connection speed.
In other words, VPN is a virtual tunnel between your device and the server you are connecting to.
- You will get more privacy because your connections will not be linked to your home IP address. Your government will not know what websites you are visiting. Etc.: Looking at your IP it might look like you are from Japan, but you are in Canada.
- You will be safe from the hackers because all the data is encrypted and the VPN network is hack proof.
- Bypass geo-blocking and content censorship by choosing the VPN server by a country. Etc.: You will be able to watch American Netflix in Canada.
- Clean traffic without viruses.
Is a VPN service legal in Canada?
By reading this article you might think that you are might be trying to trick your government and bypass the legislation of the law, but that’s not true. VPN services are fully legitimate in Canada and not regulated by any law.
You Just need to know that some of the VPNs are also keeping log files and can provide them to the government authorities if will be asked. We don’t want to do anti-advertising for other VPN service providers for ethical reasons, but you should be choosing a VPN carefully.
Read further and you will learn how to choose the best VPN for Canada.
What else can I do with the VPN?
VPN could be using various reasons and it can help you:
- While you are on the go by securing your connection in public Wi-Fi hotspots;
- For entertainment watch IP TV, unblock Netflix, Instagram,
- Using for torrenting;
- Protect home devices, like smart TVs;
- Watching privacy sensitive websites for adults.
As you can see from the long list of privileges it is really worth to consider buying a VPN at least for one year.
How to choose the best VPN for Canada?
We have been reviewing VPNs for several years and have tested more than a hundred VPN services. Some of them are not worth a cent, some of them are over cost and some of them are useless for technical reasons. We did the evaluation of the best VPN for Canada by these criteria:
So don’t waste your time and get the best VPN for your needs in Canada.
Top3 VPN for Canada
From many VPN we have tested, we did a short list which still works well in Canada. You can also test it by yourself for free, because of the 30-day money back guarantee. So here is the list of the best VPN services in Canada:
- ExpressVPN – one of the best VPN on the market, very good connections speed, unblocks Netflix, very strong encryption and no log policy.
- NordVPN – great VPN for any user, unblocks Netflix from many countries, great user interface, a wide range of server selection around the globe, great support and no log policy.
- CyberGhostVPN – Works fine with Netflix from many countries, good connection speed, strong encryption, protection, and no log policy.
ExpressVPN for Canada
At the first place, we could name one of the most popular VPN service provider – ExpressVPN. This VPN service provider works in a market for many years and knows a lot about internet privacy. Moreover, it has great options and price ratio. Works great every time and we did not feel any connection speed slowdowns. Moreover, it unlocks American Netflix from any country of the world and concerned to be number one for Canada.
This VPN can be used on many devices, operating system and browsers: Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Linux, open-source routers, BlackBerrys, Kindle Fire, Chromebooks, Barnes & Noble Nook tablets, Apple TV, Fire TV, Canada, PlayStation, Android TV box and others. It also has extensions for major browsers including Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
The network also offers unlimited bandwidth, which is the capacity to carry data. Server switches are also unlimited, meaning that the user can switch servers as much as they want, and no additional fees are implemented.
|Compatible with many devices and platforms||High price|
|High level of security||Configuration limits|
|24/7 customer service||No ad blocker|
It is also important to mention that you have the choice of 30-day money-back guarantee, so there are literally no risks to the user – you can get your money back if something goes wrong.
Read more about ExpressVPN
NordVPN for Canada
The second place we could give to NordVPN as the best VPN for using on Canada.
NordVPN is compatible with Android, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Linux. It has browser add-ons for Google Chrome and Firefox. The VPN service also supports Windows Phone, open-source and branded routers.
The main features of NordVPN:
- NordVPN secures user internet activity from hackers and malicious actors protect on Canada and include Ad Blocker. In order to have the highest possible level of security, this VPN uses double data encryption. In other words, the data that goes between your device and the server is encrypted twice using Double VPN technology. The features include Military-grade Encryption, CyberSec, and Double VPN.
- Privacy protection features ensure that no one can track users’ online activity. The features include a Strict no logs policy, Automatic Kill Switch, DNS leak protection, and Onion Over VPN.
- NordVPN allows users to bypass geographical restrictions and censorship. It offers more than 5000 servers worldwide, Streaming, SmartPlay, P2P and speed features.
- The VPN also offers apps across all the major platforms and multiple devices, as well as extensions for Chrome and Firefox browsers.
Wide geographical reaches
Performance hits and drop connections
Double VPN for twice the encryption
A monthly plan might seem expensive
User-friendly and pleasant interface
Not clear ownership
CyberGhostVPN for Canada
The third place for the best VPN for Canada we are giving to CyberGhostVPN. CyberGhost VPN and NordVPN are both popular and widely-used VPN services. CyberGhost VPN is one of the most user-friendly VPNs with great and useful features. Even though by using it you can experience interruptions and slowdowns, just like using NordVPN, CyberGhost VPN is more customizable and more affordable service, than NordVPN.
It uses the PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, and IKEv2/IPSec tunneling protocols in order to create an encrypted connection. Users are able to set up manual connections without the CyberGhost VPN client software. The VPN service has about 3,000 servers in about 60 countries, which one of the widest geographic reaches. The countries range from Albania to Vietnam, but the list does not include China or Russia.
All data coming into the system gets AES-256 protection, which is actually pretty secure, and a user does not have to make any additional changes.
The VPN service is relatively slow, as it took an average of 18 seconds to connect to the service. When it comes to the latency, CyberGhost VPN did not perform the best and around came in at 70 milliseconds. The downloading ability of the VPN service was 13.4, which is not the best result either.
All in one, as you can see CyberGhost VPN offers users pretty slow performance speeds.
Offering one of the widest geographical reaches
Performance hits and slowdowns
A very informative user interface
Not many personalized options
Easy setup and quick to start
Rough reviews by third-parties
So if you want more privacy while browsing the Internet, unblock restricted content and feel free, the only way to achieve it is VPN. There is a list of TOP three VPN service providers for Canada. I hope our article helped you. Thanks for reading.
Our security team at Reviewed by Pro constantly tests new products in order to provide you with up-to-date information and reviews of the latest Internet security and antivirus applications, privacy solutions, recovery tools, and other utilities, not just for your Windows PC, but also for your Mac and Android devices.