TunnelBear Netflix Blocked solution
TunnelBear was blocked by Netflix and you cannot see your favorite movie or TV show? Not a problem. In this article, we will talk about why Netflix blocked TunnelBear and how to fix that problem.
We have arranged for a summarized section in this complete article for our readers who wish to know about the worthy replacements of TunnelBear, but have very little time to spare.
- ExpressVPN – Bypasses geo-blocking and other restrictions to open sites like Netflix without any issue, which is available from the cost of $6.67/month;
- NordVPN – One of the popular VPNs in the world today that can open Netflix with its high-speed servers at $3.49/month;
- CyberGhostVPN – it has 5900 servers that can unblock Netflix with just one click, and you can get it for a mere cost of $3.69/month;
- IvacyVPN – A VPN that is steadily gaining the trust of the users with strict security protocols and 1000+ servers to unblock Netflix at $2.25/month;
- ProtonVPN –It is arguably one of the securest VPNs there is, which has a firm no-log policy, offers torrenting, opens Netflix, and increasing its servers every day, and you can get it for a price starting from $4/month;
Does TunnelBear work with Netflix?
Many users around the world are using TunnelBear VPN and having a problem with Netflix. It supposed to work fine and unblock Netflix, but today it is not working anymore.TunnelBear is a simple VPN which is suitable for the VPN beginners, but it has a very unstable solution for Netflix, Hulu or other media streaming services. Actually, it was built from the beginning, not for streaming videos from Netflix, that’s why so many users are having problems with it. We can't deny, is great tool for data encryption and privacy improvement, but their server network is so small and Netflix almost blocked it all. TunnelBear might work for some time, but sooner or later you will receive an error: “Whoops, something went wrong… Proxy Detected. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again”.
Netflix is protecting their content from watching it from abroad and trying to keep their traffic clean from unwanted viewers. They have developed a great VPN blocking system which recognizes VPN users and blocks them by these methods:
Too many users from the same IP
The easiest way for Netflix to detect VPN users is to track multiple connections from the same IP. Normally, VPN is sharing one IP address for one server. So, when many users, at the same time are trying to reach Netflix server, it triggers security algorithms and blocks the entire IP. The best VPN service providers also have developed something interesting: The algorithms which don’t let many users connect to Netflix at the same time, from the same server. That is a key why some VPNs works with Netflix and some of them not.
VPN service Blocking by IP – If you are using a VPN service, which IP is blacklisted by Netflix, there is no chance to connect to it. That is a very simple process which is called “VPN service blocking by IP”. That’s why new IP addresses must be created by VPN vendors every day. The same situation is with TunnelBear, almost every single IP by this provider was blocked one by one and today it is almost impossible to watch Netflix with it. Some VPN providers are focusing on Netflix Geoblock and created hundreds of new IPs in order to bypass Netflix restrictions.
VPN service blocking by Ports – Similar to IP address blocking, Netflix and other streaming companies are blocking most common ports used by VPN service providers and blocks them too.
VPN service blocking by Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) – Netflix is also using a DPA technique – deep packet analysis. This algorithm is analyzing data packets that are moving inside and outside the network. By gathered data, an algorithm detects which traffic could come from the VPNs and blocks it.
Fix TunnelBear VPN problem if it was blocked by Netflix
As you might know, Netflix is available in more than 190 countries across the globe, but certain content is available for the local market only. That means, if you live in Europe, you cannot see the American Netflix.
It is because of the content licenses and copyrights. Also, Netflix content can be different for censorship regulations by the law for the different countries. In order not violate also those licenses, copyrights, and regulations, Netflix is using a geo-blocking algorithm. It is blocking users from abroad to watch local content.
If you want to bypass these restrictions, the only way is to use a VPN. If you expriencing problems with TunnelBear VPN while accessing Netflix, the only solution is to ask TunnelBear support to assign a new IP. It can unblock Netflix for a while, but later it can be blocked again. It looks like a game “hide and seek” while the VPN provider makes new VPN servers with the new IPs and later on Netflix detects and blocks them.
The main problem of TunnelBear is, that they are not focusing on Netflix unblocks and they have not that many servers comparing to the competitors. We have tested a lot of VPN service providers and found out, that there are many other
For those who still don’t know what VPN is, we will introduce shortly. VPN (a virtual private network) – is a service which can help you to change your IP to the selected country. It makes a connection to Netflix via local server and in that way, you can bypass all the geo-blocking algorithms and various censorship restrictions. Also, it encrypts your connection and makes it private. It means, that nobody can see what websites you are browsing, files downloading, watching movies online and so on. It is a great way to stop your internet service provider (ISP) and government from monitoring your online activities. Moreover, it also protects you from the hackers which cannot see what data you are typing in the input fields (username, password and so on).
Best alternatives to TunnelBear for watching Netflix
So, another workaround for TunnelBear Netflix blocked problem is to try another VPN service providers. We did great research by testing more than fifty various VPNs and made a short list of alternatives to TunnelBear VPN. Our evaluation was made considering these criteria:We based our evaluation on the following criteria:
- Connection speed – The Internet is just an empty shell without a steady connection speed, and low-level VPNs give inefficient rate with high inactivity. A stable internet can allow the average user to stream videos, play games, and browse smoothly. It is wise to check the average connection rate of the VPN before paying for it.
- Server Coverage – Netflix offers coverage all over the world, but its content is the same for every region. It is where the broad server range of top VPNs come in that can bypass geo-restrictions and open Netflix for any part of the world. So, if you wish to see Netflix in states like the US, UK, and Canada, then a powerful VPN is your go-to guy.
- Unlimited bandwidth – Video streaming requires a hefty amount of bandwidth that offers run out due to ISP throttling or other unfair measures. A VPN hides your activity from the ISP while providing boundless data usage at a steady speed.
- Multi-user support – Problems may arise when one member of the family intends to use the VPN to watch Netflix, and the second person wishes to do the complete opposite. You can quickly resolve such an issue by opting for a VPN that supports connection on more than one platform simultaneously.
- Multi-platform support – It goes hand in hand with the multi-user support as there is a high probability of the people that share the VPN account use variable platforms or devices. We have only selected those VPNs that have native app support for at least the top 4 platforms, including Windows, Android, iOS, & macOS.
- Support – A customer support service with all the technical know-how is essential to fix any VPN-related issue quickly. It is why we have picked the VPNs that have at least a broad library of troubleshooters and tutorials, along with chat support, throughout the day.
- Price – Handling the budget is something that a user has to determine. It is no doubt that purchasing a VPNs can be an expensive endeavor, especially for users living in low-income regions. We have streamlined each package plan of the below-mentioned VPNs so that it might become easy for you to assess your budget and pick the best deal for yourself.
1. Unblock and Watch Netflix with ExpressVPN
(Excellent – 4.8/5)
$6.67 (-49% deal)
With ExpressVPN’s 3000+ servers available in 160 virtual locations, you can watch Netflix for any region that you desire holds. These servers can unblock several other streaming sites such as HBO GO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and even recently launched services like Disney+ in good quality. ExpressVPN does all of that while retaining no limit on data and fast internet connection rate.
Keeping up with the multi-platform support, ExpressVPN is downloadable on the top four OS(Win, Mac, Android, iOS), and you can always link the VPN with your PS4/Xbox, Smart TV, and routers as well. Express also enables you to use its service on 5 devices at once through a single account’s details. Such a feature also helps in managing the budget that one can share equally among friends and family to reduce the monetary restraints.
Express VPN does not share the activity logs with anyone, specifically with the five-eyes data-sharing alliance, a notion supported by the VPN operating from the British Virgin Islands. Methods like OpenVPN encryption, kill switch, split tunneling, and DNS leak protection prevents the ISP or any other entity to spot your presence online, while you stream Netflix, do shopping, or play games.
Express has an abundant resource of customer care service that its users can use 24/7, including live chat, video tutorials, and email ticketing support. You can get ExpressVPN by selecting any of the three packages stated underneath:
- $6.67/month for one year with 3 months free(15-months plan);
- $9.99/month for 6-months;
- $12.95 every month (monthly offer).
Each of the subscription offers has a 30-day return policy if you are not satisfied with the services of ExpressVPN. Make sure to cancel the subscription before that period, or you would have to pay the full price.
|Compatible with many devices and platforms||High price|
|High level of security||Configuration limits|
|24/7 customer service||No ad blocker|
2. NordVPN is a better alternative to TunnelBear in all aspects
(Excellent – 4.9/5)
$3.49/month (-70% deal)
Nord is among the most familiar VPN vendors in the world that have 5465 servers in 59 countries that also include P2P servers, Obfuscated, and Dedicated IP option for $70. Each of the 5400+ servers can bypass geo-blocking and offer admittance to limited regional servers of Netflix in the North American region that carries the most content as compared to Netflix India. Nord skips through any lazy throttling attempts at your internet while yielding the speed as much as 74Mbps.
Nord’s subscribers can use their account on a maximum of 6 devices, and it doesn’t matter which platform you use it in or whatever place. The platforms that you can Nord on are Windows and Mac systems, Android and iOS phones, smart TVs(Android, Roku, Amazon), Linux, and gaming consoles through pre-configured routers.
Each of the Nord’s encryption plan helps you remain anonymous all the time you scroll through the internet for whatever purpose. Methods like data encryption, Double VPN, DNS leakage protection, and a kill switch can help prevent ISP throttling, virus or sniffing infestation, and DDoS attacks.
Here are the incredibly affordable subscription packages that also offer you a full 30-day money-back guarantee:
- $3.49/month for 3 years;
- $4.99/month for 2 years;
- $6.99/month for 12 months;
If you feel at odds with Nord’s app, then you can consult its award-winning customer support service that is available 24/7.
Wide geographical reaches
Performance hits and drop connections
Double VPN for twice the encryption
A monthly plan might seem expensive
User-friendly and pleasant interface
Not clear ownership
3. CyberGhostVPN is capable to unblock Netflix, Hulu, Sling and other streaming platforms
(Great – 4.5/5)
$2.75 (-80% deal)
CyberGhost is one of the best alternatives to TunnelBear that offers the usual server speed of 1Gbps and does not fall behind on the internet connection as small as 6Mbps. CyberGhost has 5900 highly functional servers in 90 countries that can open Netflix, hide your activity from your ISP, and offer unlimited bandwidth while you do it.
Ever since its inception in 2004 from Romania, CyberGhost has been creeping its way to the top, and now it is among the giants of the VPN vendors. It proposes the facility to use one account on 7 devices at the same time without any disruption from the servers or the ISP. The subscriber can open the account on different platforms and linkup devices such as Windows, macOS, Linux Ubuntu, Android, iOS, TVs, consoles, and others.
While keeping the no-logs policy at play, CyberGhost enhances the stronghold on security by giving military-grade encryption, IKEv2/IPSec, an instant kill switch to help prevent ISP throttling, virus infection, and other spying or data-stealing attempts by criminals
CyberGhost has a fantastic 45-day return policy that allows you to test the VPN and all its features, and if you still do not like the service, then you have all the right to return it, no questions asked! The packages that you pick for yourself and your loved ones are listed below:
- $3.69/month for 2-years;
- $5.99/month for 1-year;
- $12.99/month on a monthly plan that you can cancel at any time;
If anything goes sideways, then Cyber’s thorough gallery of the customer support program is there to help you every step of the way.
Offering one of the widest geographical reaches
Performance hits and slowdowns
A very informative user interface
Not many personalized options
Easy setup and quick to start
Rough reviews by third-parties
4. IvacyVPN – One of the cheapest VPN service on the market that works fine on Netflix
(Great – 4.4/5)
30-Days Money Back Guarantee
One of the first replacement options for TunnelBearVPN is IvacyVPN from the country of Singapore. If your TunnelBear account is not supporting access to Netflix US or causing speed problems, then you can avail of the services of IvacyVPN, which offers 1000+ servers that are significantly more than what TunnelBear provides.
Each virtual location has complete control of the internet speed, and it comes with unlimited bandwidth. So that you could binge-watch your favorite show all day long without any buffering issues or fear of getting cut out by the ISP.
Some new users may find themselves in a bit of a stir as Ivacy comes from Singapore, a place known for quietly being partners with the members of the five-eyes alliance. Despite the fact, it still offers torrenting, bypasses ISP throttling, and does not keep a log of user activity on its servers. It does all of that through measures like Open VPN encryption, anonymous browsing, and an automatic kill switch.
You can use Ivacy on 5 devices at once on appliances like your “Windows, Linux or Mac computer” and your “Android & iOS smartphones.” Ivacy offers an excellent 24/7 live service for customer care and reasonable money-back policy of 30-days. Here are the plans that you can choose for usage:
- $2.25/month for 2-years;
- $3.33/month for 1-year;
- $9.95/month program that can be canceled at any given moment;
5. ProtonVPN – a solid VPN from Europe that can unblock Netflix easily
(Good – 4.3/5)
The newest VPN superstar that is changing the game with its impenetrable privately owned servers that are increasing in numbers every day as compared to TunnerBear. With Proton’s 610 servers spread out across 44 countries, you can do torrenting, watch Netflix from any place or region, and play online games by accessing their geo-restricted features without any aggravation.
The stern privacy protection laws of Switzerland, a place where Proton operates from, you should not have any fear of your data or activity log falling on to the wrong hands, as ProtonVPN doesn’t keep any records. It not only can open Netflix but other restricted sites or chat platforms like Omegle and ChatRoulette.
Proton is available on every underlying platform that has a considerable amount of users, but it doesn’t have browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
Privacy services like Tor Over VPN, military-grade encryption, IKEv2, IPSec, and kill switch doesn’t allow anyone to lay a hand on your data or device without your permission.
You can select the following plans for yourself that offer variable coverage on device support:
- The Basic Plan at $4/month, which allows using the VPN on 2 devices simultaneously with a 30-day refund guarantee;
- The Plus Plan at $8/month, which allows using the VPN on 5 devices simultaneously with a 30-day refund guarantee;
- The Visionary Plan at $24/month, which allows using the VPN on 10 devices simultaneously with a 30-day refund guarantee;
Unlike other VPN providers, Proton does not offer live chat support for the assistance of the subscriber in need, but its vast library of guides and tutorials are enough to resolve any issue.
Tests Results of the TunnelBears Alternative VPNs to Unblock Netflix
We have plucked out the necessary information in the form of various tables after successfully conducting different tests to make sure whether the VPN vendors are telling the truth about their service or not.
1. VPN Connection Speed
There is no point in trying to open and watch a video from Netflix, youtube, or any other platform, for that matter, if the connection speed of the VPN is not up to the mark. We have laid out the speed tests of the VPN stated above through websites like speedtest.net and fast.com and found out that all of the VPNs excelled at providing stable internet speed throughout the streaming and testing process.
2. VPN Server Coverage
It is the server coverage of the VPN that comes in handy in the end if you wish to bypass geo-restrictions and watch your beloved show on Netflix. Fortunately, all of the VPN services have an abundant supply of servers in the North American region to unlock built-in game features or stream from sites like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more.
3. Unlimited bandwidth
Don't even think about the limitations if you want to watch online videos.
4. Multi-User support
The whole purpose of getting a technology like VPN is to share it with your closed ones to keep them protected from any ill-intentioned entity online. A VPN must be able to offer native apps on at least all the notable platforms. It should also provide you to open your account on more than one platform at the same time so that you and your family could do multiple things with the VPN at the same time.
5. Multi-Platform Support
The support of the multi-operating system it is important for many people. It is so natural that every person uses different devices with different operating systems. So for families, it is also very important to use a VPN, which supports as many operating systems as possible. One employee likes Android, another employee likes iOS, another likes Windows OS. It is better when your VPN service provider supports more operating systems. You never know what will be your needs after 12 months, right?
5. Customer Support of a VPN
For an average user, things can get a bit complicated, especially while handling technology like a VPN for the first time on a new device. VPNs should have expert customer support services to assist the troubled subscriber when they contact the support staff. Some VPN vendors provide 24/7 live chat service, while others have a complete library of offline tutorials that are enough to fix the problem of every scale.
There is no denying behind the fact in these early days of technological revolution, purchasing something like a VPN can get expensive. It is the reason why we have selected the most affordable and topnotch VPNs that offer you to share the budget with other individuals while offering several discount packages all around the year.
Start using a new VPN if want to access Netflix
If you wish to replace TunnelBear to open Netflix with a new VPN and want to learn the method of setting up a new VPN, then you are in the right place. In this part of the TunnelBear replacement guide, we will show you how to set up a new VPN.
The steps are as follows:
- Subscribe to any of the five VPNs mentioned above and download the app on your computer. You will also receive a username and password.
- Install the app on your system and run it when the setup finishes.
- From the interface, enter your username and password and hit the “Sign in” tab.
- Once you enter, you will find a sea of servers that you can pick and choose at free will.
- After selecting the server, click on the “Connect” button and start using Netflix!
Sometimes a VPN such as TunnelBear that has a limited amount of servers and locations fail in accessing a powerhouse platform like Netflix. It happens when the internal servers of Netflix detect any anomaly in the sea of IP addresses and stop it from entering the site ever again. The best one can do to overcome such an obstacle to select the top replacement VPNs for TunnelBear that not only have sufficient server coverage, but it has enough legs to keep maintaining the internet connection speed for a smooth stream.
With this editorial, now you understand the working of the top VPNs that can unblock Netflix and do so much more than that. We have also discussed the various testing points that separate a top VPN from mediocre ones for your convenience.