If you live in a country where Netflix is not available, you cannot access it without a VPN. Many people are using NordVPN to unblock Netflix, but sometimes it can be blocked by Netflix due to geographical restrictions. So, does NordVPN works with Netflix today? In this article, we are going to clarify is it possible to watch Netflix with NordVPN, alternatives to NordVPN and why, how Netflix is blocking VPNs.
What to do if NordVPN was blocked by Netflix?
If you feel that NordVPN is totally blocked by Netflix in your country, the only solution is to choose a different VPN vendor. We did many testing and found the VPNs which still works fine with Netflix. There is no risk to try a new VPN, because of 30-day money back guaranty. You will be able to test it for free. You can use NordVPN to unblock Netflix from any part of the world, but sometimes it doesn’t work in regions where internet freedom is an issue. This is why we have arranged a quick overview of the best replacement VPNs for you to pick and start using Netflix.
- ExpressVPN – Has the full ability to open Netflix with its 3000+ server for $6.67/month;
- CyberGhostVPN – Offers 5600+ servers to access Netflix for just $3.69/mont;
- IvacyVPN –Provides the option to access its 1000+ servers to open Netflix or any other site at a mere rate of $2.25/month;
- ProtonVPN – Has server coverage across 600 servers to open Netflix at will at the price of $4/month;
Qualities that a VPN must possess:
NordVPN is undoubtedly one of the best VPN out there that has all its basis covered. But before taking the service for its word, it is essential to know about the necessary qualities that VPNs like Nord and others must possess in order to satisfy the basic requirements of the user in regards to accessing blocked content and complete privacy online. In this part of the editorial, we are ready to discuss those very fundamental features of the VPN.
We did our list of evaluation of the VPN which is a better alternative to NordVPN for Netflix according to these criteria:
- Internet connection speed: It doesn’t matter if your VPN is NordVPN or not, if it isn’t able to give you steady speed to stream Netflix on your computer or any other device, then there is no argument in using the service. After carefully testing the internet speeds of the top VPNs, we have compiled the results for you in the table below:
- Server coverage: If you wish to access Netflix US, then your VPN should be able to possess many servers in the region to offer the quality service you need to watch any movie or show in 4K display.
- Multi-device/Platform support: A VPN must offer you to share the account on multiple devices at once, especially if you purchase one for your family. This feature helps you to open multiple things at once so that you could watch Netflix through your VPN at peace. The other thing about a VPN is that it should have app support on multiple platforms so that it is convenient for the user to access the VPN from their phone/console/computer anytime they like.
- Customer support: It might be hard for people in the beginning to understand the basic workings of a VPN software, which is why every provider has a customer support service placed for people in dire need of assistance. The best kind of VPN service is the one that is available all day long, no matter the timezone.
- Price: It all ends and begins with how much you intend to spend to get the VPN technology of your choice. If getting a service puts a massive strain on your budget, then you should look for the more affordable one. There is also another way around this ordeal, as you can ask your friends or anyone you trust to share the monetary load and purchase the best service possible.
The best alternatives to NordVPN for watching Netflix
It is no doubt that NordVPN is a reliable VPN that offers everything that one could hope for in a VPN in order to be more private and secure online. Unfortunately, It is not accessible in some regions of the world, mainly countries like Pakistan and Iran, and it is why we have listed five top VPNs for you that are worthy alternatives to the NordVPN. They have more outreach than Nord, and they can also bypass geo-blocking to open Netflix with ease.
1. Unblock and Watch Netflix with ExpressVPN if NordVPN fails
|Price from||$6.67 (-49% deal)|
|Oder VPN with a discount|
|More information||ExpressVPN review|
ExpressVPN is Nord’s number one adversary, which can access sites like Netflix without any trouble, and most importantly, it is accessible in countries Nord is not available or banned.
Coverage of Server: Express has 1500+ servers out of its 3000 servers in the USA and Canada alone, which is efficient enough to open Netflix or play any restricted video game from any region of the world. All of the servers have sufficient internet connection speed that comes with infinite bandwidth across the board.
Platform and Device Coverage: ExpressVPN is available for usage on 5 multiple devices at once on platforms like Windows PC, Linux, macOS, iOS & Android. So, if you wish to watch Netflix from the comfort of your home or in any public place, then you can do it with the help of ExpressVPN.
Security and Privacy Methods: It operates outsides the dominion of the five-eyes alliance, which helps it in keeping the no-logs rule functional. In addition to that, ExpressVPN has a secure encryption method working along with several other features like kill switch, OpenVPN, and complete anonymous browsing.
Pricing Packages: Here are the reasonable payment plans of ExpressVPN, that you can pick and start feeling the freedom of secure internet usage:
- 12 months package at $6.67/month with a 30-days refund plan;
- 6 months package at $9.99/month with a 30-days refund plan;
- A full-month package at $12.95/month with a 30-days refund plan;
Compatible with many devices and platforms
High level of security
24/7 customer service
No ad blocker
2. Unblock and Watch Netflix with CyberGhostVPN
|Price from||$2.75 (-80% deal)
|Oder VPN with a discount|
|More information||CyberGhost review|
CyberGhostVPN can crack any safe in the online world; it doesn’t matter if it is the servers of Netflix US or any porn site. It does that while keeping your internet connection rate stable with limitless download and usage.
Coverage of Server: CyberGhost has a full set of 5650+ servers across 112 virtual location that offers you to open any site in the world, with no questions asked, no matter where you live in the world. So, if you wish to shop online anonymously, or play in any geo-restricted gaming tournament, then CyberGhost is the best VPN that can do anything for you.
Platform and Device Coverage: You can open CyberGhost on 7 different devices of multiple platforms at once to access anything you like. The platforms it supports are Windows PC, macOS, Android phones and TVs, iOS, & Linux.
Security and Privacy Methods: CyberGhost provides some of the robust encryption methods that support CyberGhost’s no-log rule and prevent any DDoS or virus attack on the devices of its users. The features involve military-grade encryption, IP masking, an instant kill switch, and split tunneling.
Pricing Packages: You can use CyberGhost on 7 devices at once, and it points to the fact that you can share the budget of CyberGhost with as many people, and that makes it even more affordable. Here is the list of subscription plans that you can pick:
- 24 months package at $3.69/month with a 45-day money-back guarantee;
- 12 months package at $5.99/month with a 45-day money-back guarantee;
- Monthly plan at $12.99/month;
Offering one of the widest geographical reaches
Performance hits and slowdowns
A very informative user interface
Not many personalized options
Easy setup and quick to start
Rough reviews by third-parties
3. IvacyVPN is the cheapest VPN that can replace NordVPN
|Money-back guarantee||30-Days Money Back Guarantee|
|Oder VPN with a discount|
|More information||IvacyVPN review|
Ivacy offers complete authority to its subscribers to users to bypass any restriction to open Netflix US and other banned sites without any hassle. It also follows a stringent policy on keeping zero-logs of user activity, while maintaining a reasonable connection speed with unlimited data usage.
Coverage of Server: Ivacy offers you to access any of its ever-growing 1000+ servers in 100+ locations to bypass any regional restrictions and open the things you like to see and listen online.
Platform and Device Coverage: You can open the native app of Ivacy on a maximum of 5 devices, all at the same on platforms such as Android, iOS, Windows PC, macOS, Linux, RokuTV, consoles, and others.
Security and Privacy Methods: It is not a hidden fact that Singapore, a place where Ivacy operates, is a part of the world’s online surveillance coalition. Knowing that IvacyVPN does not keep any record of your data, nor does it share it with anyone. The other privacy measures offered by IvacyVPN are OpenVPN, kill switch, 256-bit encryption, split tunneling, IP masking, and DNS leak prevention.
Pricing Packages: Here are the pricing plans of Ivacy that are both short and longterm:
- 24 months plan at $2.25/month with a 30-day money-back policy;
- 12 months at $3.33/month with a 30-day money-back policy;
- Monthly package at $9.95/month with a 30-day money-back policy;
4. ProtonVPN – not that good as NordVPN, but also a great solution for Netflix
|Oder VPN with a discount|
|More information||ProtonVPN review|
You can pretty much open any website with the ProtonVPN, that operates from Switzerland, a place known for its privacy-protection laws by people all around the world. It is why it is a worthy alternative to the NordVPN. It also can offer you to enter Netflix US with any trouble, with a steady speed, and unlimited allowance of data consumption.
Coverage of Server: Although the number of servers is not much, the developers of ProtonVPN are working day and night to increase the servers and the bandwidth capacity. Until the present day, Proton has more than 600 servers spread out evenly in 44 countries around the globe.
Platform and Device Coverage: You and your friends can open your Proton account on a minimum of 2 devices at once and a maximum of 10 devices simultaneously on platforms like Windows PC, Android, macOS, and iOS.
Security and Privacy Methods: ProtonVPN is one of the securest VPNs available today, as its infrastructure is impenetrable. Following that, it protects your online presence by providing 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, anonymous browsing, and much more, so that no one can touch you online.
Pricing Packages: Here are the price plans of ProtonVPN that gives you the option to return the service within 30-days, if you do not like it:
- The Basic Plan: $4/month for a complete 12 months – it offers you to use the account on 2 devices concurrently;
- The Plus Plan: $8/month for a complete 12 months – it offers you to use the account on 5 devices concurrently;
- The Visionary Plan: $24/mont for a complete 12 months – It offers you to access the account on 10 devices concurrently;
NordVPN is a great VPN that offers a friendly and accessible interface along with several features for online protection. But it gets irritating when you aren’t able to open its official site in your country, which is why you must keep a backup VPN at all times.
In this article, we have carefully discussed the basic qualities of a VPN and what it should possess in order to replace NordVPN. We have also shared with you the top 5 replacements that are more than capable of replacing Nord as your primary choice for online safety.
Use your VPN also in other cases instead of streaming Netflix
Other than hiding your online activities from the eyes of the ISP and the cybercriminals, you can take full advantage of the numerous features of the VPN technology. Here are some of them:
- Unlock restricted features of Video games you like or purchase them at any time;
- Download tv shows, movies, and software from any torrent site for free;
- Shop online at cheaper rates from another region;
- Open restricted adult sites that are not accessible or blocked in your country;
- Protect yourself from any malware or phishing attempt by using the VPN;
A propper VPN set up for streaming on Netlix
There is no rocket science behind setting up a VPN, as it is one of the most straightforward jobs in the world. Here are the steps to perform the procedure for your convenience:
- Subscribe to any VPN you like and download its native app on your PC, after getting a username and password.
- Install the app on the computer and launch it.
- Once you see the display, enter your login credentials into the interface and hit the Sign in button.
- Pick any USA server to access Netflix USA and click on “Connect.”
- You are all set to use the VPN!
The principles of Netflix's policy
So let’s start from the beginning and remember what Netflix is. Today, Netflix is one of the most popular online media streaming providers and it is available in 190 countries around the world. Netflix is not yet available in China, though the company continues to explore options for providing the service. It also is not available in Crimea, North Korea, or Syria due to U.S. government restrictions on American companies.
Also, it is it worth to mention, that Netflix content is different for certain regions. For example, if you live in Europe, you cannot access the American Netflix. It is because of geo-blocking algorithms, which help Netflix to diversify content by countries. Netflix is using geo-blocking, because of content copyrights, licenses and regional censorship which might be regulated by the governmental law.
So, if you are an American and you went for a holiday to a foreign country, you will not be able to access Netflix without a VPN. You will get the error on your screen: 'Whoops, something went wrong…Unexpected Error.'
NordVPN was blocked by Netflix by the shared IPs
Let’s say you have bought NordVPN and it was working fine with the Netflix from abroad, but you still got the same error. What to now? First of all, you need to understand why Netflix blocked NordVPN. As it was mentioned before, Netflix is blocking their content by regions due to many regulations. It means, that Netflix doesn’t want to show the content to Australians, which supposed to be shown to the Americans. Otherwise, they will break the content license agreements with the content provider. That’s why they have developed a system, which fights with smart VPN users around the globe. Every VPN service provider is sharing IP addresses with many users. For example, if you are connecting to NordVPN server which is located in New York and from there you are trying to access the Netflix server. It means, that you will be sharing the same IP address with the other users connected to the same server.
Let’s imagine that from this server 50 users are trying to access Netflix at the same time. It will trigger automatic Netflix security algorithms straight away and this IP will be blocked. It is not very difficult for Netflix to see multiple user connections from the same IP address. That is how they are blocking VPNs. It is worth to mention, that this IP address will be blacklisted and you won’t be able to connect Netflix from it anymore. So that’s how NordVPN was blocked by Netflix.
Other ways Netflix could block NordVPN
Netflix is trying to protect their content from watching it with a VPN. They are investing big money to create the most advanced VPN blocking system in the place. Every day it blocks hundreds of IP addresses in order to keep clean their agreements with media streaming providers. The best VPN service providers are working also very hard in order to bypass the Netflix Geoblock and creates tons of new IP addresses every day.
There is the list the most commons ways of how Netflix is blocking VPNs:
- VPN service Blocking by IP – If you are using a VPN service, which IP is blacklisted by Netflix, there is no chance to connect to it. That is a very simple process which is called “VPN service blocking by IP”. That’s why new IP addresses must be created by VPN vendors.
- VPN service blocking by Ports – Similar to IP address blocking, Netflix and other streaming companies are blocking most common ports used by VPN service providers and blocks them too.
- VPN service blocking by Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) – Netflix is also using a DPA technique – deep packet analysis. This algorithm is analyzing data packets that are moving inside and outside the network. By gathered data, an algorithm detects which traffic could come from the VPNs.