Kaspersky or Avast which is better
Many cybersecurity experts widely consider Avast and Kaspersky as the most recognizable and powerful antivirus software on the market. But have you ever wondered which one is better in terms of covering all the corners of security, no matter if it is online or offline? We will sort this question out for you with our complete comparative analysis below:
A Run-down of Kaspersky and Avast Antivirus Software:
Do lengthy articles exhaust you out? If yes, then there is no need to worry as you can read this specific section mentioned below and learn everything about the pros and cons of both Avast and Kaspersky antivirus software quickly and to the point:
- Pricing plans – Despite Avast having a solid free version of the antivirus service, Kaspersky led the charge with affordable rates and multi-device coverage for even the most basic plans – Winner: Kaspersky Antivirus Software;
- Antivirus Protection tests – Both Avast and Kaspersky antivirus software were able to give out perfect 100% efficiency with all the tests that we used to determine the protection rating. This comparison was a Tie (Avast and Kaspersky Antivirus Software);
- System-Performance Impact on a PC – Avast antivirus failed to maintain the excellent scores of the protection round while Kaspersky got a full 10 as it allowed the PC complete freedom to do its job while giving excellent scored under every scenario – Winner: Kaspersky Antivirus Software;
- The security Features – The were terrific similarities between the wide variety of facilities of both Avast and Kaspersky antivirus software, and it was impossible to judge a solo winner. It is why this contest was declared a draw – Tie (Avast and Kaspersky Antivirus Software);
- User Interface and look – Both interfaces of Kaspersky and Avast antivirus software were different but elegant in their unique way. Each of them was not only intuitive or easy to navigate but pleasing to the eyes as well. The contest was a firm Tie (Avast and Kaspersky Antivirus Software);
- Customer Support Service and care – It was surprising to us how similar Avast and Kaspersky antivirus software was when it came to providing customer care service. Both of them had a sorted out FAQ and how-to guides section. But both also lacked the live chat option. This comparison was also a Tie (Avast and Kaspersky Antivirus Software);
Based on the verdicts above and its brilliant showings in the pricing and performance round, the final winner of the comparative analysis was Kaspersky antivirus software.
AVAST versus Kaspersky – A battle of the friendly antivirus software giant in 2020?
Antivirus software has become an absolute necessity for us all if we take into account the grim circumstances and stats of malware and data-stealing attacks in the recent memory. But things could get complicated for the user given the wide variety of antivirus services in the free market.
If you wish to judge or purchase some antivirus software while comparing it with another competitor, then there are specific characteristics that you should take into account while performing such an endeavor. These facets are mainly the pricing convenience of the product for their user to the variety in their security features. In this article, we will look into everything, which will allow us to give the best possible judgment on the better antivirus software for you out of Avast and Kaspersky in 2020.
Kaspersky antivirus software pricing plans were within the regular budget of the average user as compared to Avast
Software products are aimed towards the general population, and most of them live with heavy restraints on their pockets to live through the month. For them committing to a software service such as an antivirus could be a big step. The antivirus vendors must arrange their security packages in such a way that purchasing them doesn’t have a heavy impact on the pockets of the average users. Whether Kaspersky and Avast are pocket-friendly enough or not? We will tell all of it in the segment below:
Kaspersky antivirus software’s pricing offers:
The most basic plan of Kaspersky antivirus software is designed specifically for PC users for $29.99 per year, and a similar offer is also available across 5 PCs for a small price increase of $39.99 per year. The more potent Total Security package is available for usage across 5 devices of each platform for $49.99 per year.
Defends against viruses, ransomware & more
Protects without slowing you down
Simplifies security to save you time and hassle
|PC, Mac & Mobile
Secures your devices – in any combination
Helps you keep your private life… private
Protects when you’re online banking & shopping – on PC & Mac
Parental controls & extra features – to protect kids on PC, Mac & mobile
Manages & stores passwords – and syncs for access from PC, Mac & mobile
Avast antivirus software’s pricing offers:
Avast singular package is provided to the public for a year across 1 PC for $55.99, which may concern the average client. However, the same package is accessible at a price of $71.99 on a maximum of 10 platforms of your choice. Avast also provides a unique package for all the macOS-based users for $47.99 per year that caries all the essential internet security and antivirus protection features. Check the complete details in the table below:
|Automatic Software Updater||✗||✔||✔|
The Verdict: Kaspersky Antivirus Software won against Avast
Kaspersky’s pricing plans were more domesticated as compared to Avast antivirus software. Mainly because the total security package has all the essential plans at a much lower rate than that of Avast’s premium security plan. All such factors were the reason why we picked Kaspersky antivirus software as the winner of the pricing round.
Both Avast and Kaspersky antivirus software showed excellent results in the test we conducted to determine the protection rating in 2020
Services such as Antivirus software is required to be one step ahead of the game due to the consistent pressure of new and more deadly viruses being pumped into the internet each day. We have designed techniques to assess the protection rating of each antivirus software through the following methods:
- Real-World Analysis (Protection against malware & spam email);
- Discovery of the latest malware.
Now we will show you the outcomes of these tests while using Avast and Kaspersky antivirus software through them.
Kaspersky antivirus software’s protection rating:
Kaspersky received a perfect score of 10 out of 10 as it succeeded in each test with a full efficiency rating, despite the fact that we ran the software through thousands of advanced forms of malware.
Avast antivirus software’s protection rating:
Avast antivirus software’s results were similar to that of Kaspersky, and it also got full marks with both screening methods without any inconsistencies, and thus, it got full marks of 10 out of 10.
|Protection agains 0-day malware attacks (web and email threats)||100%||100%|
|Detection of most common spread malware in last 4 years||100%||100%|
The Verdict: Tie (Avast and Kaspersky Antivirus Software).
Both Avast and Kaspersky antivirus programs backed their claim to be the best in the business by showing excellent performance and outcomes with both tests to judge the protection rating of any antivirus software. Due to such outstanding results, there was no way imaginable to determine a clear winner, and it is why this contest was a definite tie.
Kaspersky antivirus software prevailed in this round against Avast with it having the least bit of impact on the system
High-level software may take a heavy toll on the efficiency of the PC, and the same could be said about the antivirus software. We have arranged for the following means to determine the impact these antiviruses cause on the system:
- Opening URLs through the default browser;
- Mounting new applications into the system;
- Downloading apps from various platforms;
- Copying files within the system;
- Launching small-level programs on the PC.
Avast antivirus software’s impact on the system on the performance of the system:
There were no significant glitches with the performance of the system during most of the routine operations mentioned above. But the PC showed visible signs of disrupting when high-end websites were opened through its default web browser, especially when we tried to stream a video through the platform such as Youtube and Twitch. It is why we preferred to give Avast antivirus software a proud score of 9/10.
Kaspersky's antivirus software’s impact on the performance of the system:
Kaspersky was compatible with every type of PC as per the showed by the assessments. The results that came were below the industry average of all the screening methods mentioned above, and for that reason, it got a full score of 10 out of 10.
|Slowing-down when launching popular websites||27%||21%|
|Slower download of frequently-used applications||1%||0%|
|Slower launch of standard software applications||15%||6%|
|Slower installation of frequently-used applications||16%||16%|
|Slower copying of files (locally and in a network)||1%||1%|
The Verdict: Tie (Avast and Kaspersky Antivirus Software).
Though Avast’s performance impact scores were not bad at all, and it matched the scores of the majority antivirus software available on the market, Kaspersky collected better outcomes under all the previously mentioned circumstances. Kaspersky’s ratings were mostly at par with the benchmark industry average, and it is why we concluded it to be the winner of this round. You can check the results in the table below:
There were stunning similarities between the features of Kaspersky and Avast antivirus software
Internet or computer security is not one-dimensional by any stretch of the imagination, and it is why products such as the antivirus software are under constant pressure to present the best possible features and make the experience/purchase worthwhile for the new users. The days of only protecting against viruses are long gone as these services have to cover added facilities like the VPN, Password Manager, Payment Protection, Anti-Hacking Tools, and much more. Now we will see whether Avast and Kaspersky are among those multi-dimensional antivirus programs or not:
Kaspersky antivirus software’s features:
The total security package plan is the most extravagant plan of Kaspersky antivirus software, and it is the one with the most secure facilities. As expected, it has all the goods in the book and offers every possible security method and facility for the new customer that you can see in the list as follows:
- Real-Time Antivirus – against all types of threats such as Ransomware, Malware, and Spyware;
- Exploit Prevention – ceases all the software vulnerabilities and offer an additional layer of protection around such technologies;
- Social Network Monitoring – to check the susceptibilities around social media sites;
- Adult Content Blocker – feature comes from the family Parental Control as it blocks URLs that are aimed towards adults and not suited for children;
- Data Shredder – makes sure that no one could recover your data after it has been deleted;
- VPN to access – any restricted content in the world with a bandwidth limit of 300MB per day;
- Webcam Protection – alerts you if any hacker of agency creeps into your PC’s cam;
Avast antivirus software’s features:
Much like Kaspersky, Avast has it all in terms of foolproof data security against viruses, hacking attempts, and even identity stealing. Some of the facilities that are available with the Ultimate plan are listed below:
- Malware/Ransomware Shield – It kills every last malware and ransomware in its sight so that your PC remains protected forever
- The Sandbox– Provides the circumstances to see the content of malicious URLs in a safe mode;
- Avast Browser – You can privately surf the internet with Avast own browser;
- The Wi-Fi Inspector – Helps in checking the weaknesses within the internet connection at any place you access it. It also prevents Wi-Fi snooping attempts;
- Webcam Shield – You will know through this facility whether anyone is trying to hack your webcam.
- Data Shredder – With this no one will possess the power to recover deleted data from your system;
- Secure Line VPN of Avast – With 54 virtual locations across 34 countries, Avast offers the potential to open any website in the world anonymously;
- The Cleanup utility of Avast – Cleans all the registry files to enhance the storage and speed of the PC;
The Verdict: Tie (AVAST and Kaspersky Antivirus Software).
There were too many similarities between the utilities of the Avast and Kaspersky antivirus software, and all of them were great at what they did that our experts couldn't pick one winner. It is why this contest of the features comparison was declared as a tie.
Kaspersky antivirus software had a more stylish and friendlier interface while AVAST left a lot to be desired
The antivirus interface is the place of the software product that allows you to utilize the utilities, as mentioned above, with just a single click. The vital aspect is that the interface should be extra intuitive so that you are able to access the intended facility quickly, without wasting even a second. If you wonder what Avast and Kaspersky’s interface looks like, then we have the answer for you in the section stated underneath:
Avast antivirus software’s interface:
To open the interface of Avast, all you have to do is double click on the product’s orange icon available at the desktop of the computer. Upon launching it, you will be able to see the present status of your device that will prompt you to do the appropriate action according to the situation.
The dark and light combination of different colors gives out a much stylish look to the entire layout. Avast’s offers you to access all of the significant features that we mentioned above through its vertical list of four different categories, that are as follows:
- Status – To enable virus scan and understand the current state of your device;
- Protection – To access all the additional features such as Sandbox, Ransomware Shield, and Firewall protection that Avast offers to keep the PC protected from virus;
- Privacy – if you wish to maintain the confidentiality of your identity, then this is the place that allows you to enable it with features like Secureline Browser, Data Shredder, Secureline VPN, Webcam Protection, and many others;
- Performance – The PC may perform slowly if its drivers and various built-in software arent updated to the latest versions. This category allows Avast to scan the PC for such anomalies and keeping all the drivers/software updated while enabling you to erase all the cache memory away.
Kaspersky antivirus software’s interface:
The “You are Protected” signs at the forefront of the greenish layout of Kaspersky antivirus software’s interface allows you to remain relaxed regarding the state of your device.
All the significant options to enable complete protection and utilities that were mentioned earlier are available right in the middle of the front display of the software. The standard options are as follows:
- Scan – To scan the whole PC immediately for viruses;
- Parental Control – To initiate the various parental lock protocols such as adult content blocker, child GPS locator, social media monitoring, and much more;
- Privacy Protection – To access privacy facilities like the VPN and others so that all your activities and data remain outside the grasps of the wrong people;
- Quarantine – The place where each detected/identified virus is placed so that you can deal with them accordingly;
- More Tools – To access other facilities that are accessible with the pricing plan that you have opted for yourself, such as payment protection and data shredder. This option is available in the form of a tab underneath the big icon mentioned above.
The interface has a separate setting icon that offers you to schedule your scan and enable additional options of convenience.
The Verdict: Tie (Avast and Kaspersky Antivirus Software)
Both the app interface of Avast and Kaspersky antivirus software unique in their regard. While Avast placed every possible feature under specific categories for the user to locate and enable for protection, Kaspersky let the user decide how to and when to select each facility with the “More Tools” button. The jury was split with determining a single victor of the interface comparison, so it is was only logical to consider the contest a proper draw.
Kaspersky and Avast antivirus software had an extensive gallery of guides and FAQs to solve each conventional antivirus issue
If your device gets infected with the virus or if the antivirus software fails to do its job properly, then it is the customer care facility of the service that keeps you away from full panic, especially if the integrity of all your data and privacy is in danger. Products or services like Kaspersky and Avast should possess every possible means to give quality customer care facility to the user in the form of live chat, community forums, and how-to guides.
Do they provide such services? We will show you the answer in section down-below:
Kaspersky antivirus software’s customer support platform:
Upon opening the support page from the website of Kaspersky, we quickly realized the lack of live chat facility by the antivirus software provider, which was a big let down. However, all the things were turned good for us thanks to all the FAQ/guide facilities and the community forum(for users to share their issues to find a solution) that were available with separate categories of users of each platform supported by Kaspersky antivirus software(win, mac, android). The categories are as follows:
Kaspersky for Home and Mobile – A gateway to all the FAQs that comprises of solutions to common problems for each platform;
Kaspersky for Business – For the holders of the much more advanced business plans that are being offered by Kaspersky antivirus software;
Security Tips – The place where you should go if you think that there was a lapse in failure in the security provided by the antivirus software.
Avast antivirus software’s customer support platform:
Similar to Kaspersky antivirus software, Avast also lacked in providing the live chat option for its user, which is a necessity in this day and age that all businesses should be able to offer. The community forum of Avast is its answer to nor providing live chat and email support, which is a platform where Avast’s free and premium users have the chance to socialize and share common problems and fixes to those issues.
Besides, the lack of such convenience was also quickly covered with FAQs and guides placed under the following categories that represent the typical issues most of the users deal with each day.
- Installation & Activation – If you do not possess the knowledge to install or activate your Avast account, then this is the place you should go to find the answer;
- Refund Request – Avast offers a 30-day refund to all its users. If you do not get the satisfaction you desire with the service and wish to return the service and get your money back, but do not know how to do that, then this section will help you all the way through;
- Subscription & Account – This section carries every information regarding the ways to manage your Avast antivirus software’s account;
- Sales & Billing – If you wish to learn the various ways to perform the purchasing of the product or want to become an affiliate, then this category has all the answers for you.
The Verdict: Tie (Avast and Kaspersky Antivirus Software)
Both Kaspersky and Avast antivirus software didn’t have a live chat facility or any other channel to interact with any security expert working with the business. Besides all that, each other customer care facility of both the products was quite similar to one another, and it is why this contest was a dull draw.
The antivirus market share report in 2020
If you wish to know the status of Kaspersky and Avast antivirus software’s place in the market, then you have to look into OPSWAT’s monthly report that it recently released in January 2020. According to the published stats, Avast is proudly among the top 5 antivirus software in the market, with a share of 9.09%. Kaspersky also got a place in the top 10 as it reached the seventh spot with a value of 6.40%.
Ranking Antivirus Software Market Share
Winner: Avast Antivirus Software.
Kaspersky was the final winner versus Avast antivirus software based on the perfect scores in protection, performance, and interface
Both antivirus software fought tooth and nail to become the winner. The interface and customer service, and the protection ratings round an ironclad tie, and there was no way to declare the winner in those categories. Avast was the more popular antivirus software versus Kaspersky, but it was no way to determine the eventual winner. The deciding factor fell into the hands of the pricing and performance impact comparison as Kaspersky was far above Avast antivirus software. It is why Kaspersky was the winner of the comparative analysis between Kaspersky and Avast antivirus software.
You can evaluate our conclusions based on the rating cited in the table underneath:
|Pricing||From 39.57 / 3 devices for 1 year||From $29.99 / device for 1 year|
Winner: Kaspersky Antivirus Software.