How You Can Watch Netflix In The UK
Netflix changed the streaming game and brought with it a new dimension in the TV landscape. In over 190 countries, this streaming service has grounded roots. Viewers love the thousands of TV shows and movies on Netflix, but they do not always get this luxury. Of all the world countries, it is safe to say that the American Netflix has the best deal for movies and shows. No other country can boast of having as many shows and movies that the American version of Netflix has. American viewers get the Netflix shows way before the U. K viewers get them, even for shows available in the UK. These include popular shows like “Avengers: Infinity War,” available in only the American Netflix bouquet.
This article will give you guidelines on how to watch American Netflix in the UK in 2021. So, are you living in the UK but want to enjoy the benefits of American Netflix? Your dreams will then come through in a bit as you can get all the possible value you need from your Netflix subscription.
Reasons Why Netflix Can’t Be Accessed in the UK
Netflix is not trying to shortchange viewers in the UK or other countries outside the United States. Certain factors come into play that prevents UK Netflix viewers from getting the full assortment of shows that Netflix offers. See them below:
- The content you find on Netflix is usually licensed. Hence, Netflix respects the contract it made with these television networks and movie studios when limiting access to the content. That causes a restriction on some locations, thereby blocking users from gaining full access to the content outside the US. The term for this is geo-blocking.
- Geo-blocking means that some shows and channels cannot be accessed in certain parts of the world because restriction has been placed on these locations. The UK is one of such locations that don’t have as many channels as the American Netflix as it is not within the approved location.
- You should note that movies and TV programs produced or co-produced by Netflix (called “Netflix Originals”) are available for viewers everywhere. However, this is not the case for those movies and shows produced by other producing companies.
- Also, some content is not allowed in the UK Netflix version as they are going against the UK’s culture and ethics. Allowing them to air in the UK is simply going against the law. That is what Netflix doesn’t want.
How are UK Viewers blocked from the American Netflix?
The simple answer is tracking of IP (Internet Protocol) address. Once you connect your device to the internet: personal computer, smartphone, TV to the internet, this device is automatically given a unique address. That is the IP address. The IP address points out exactly where your location is on the globe. This way, devices within a particular country are identified and grouped.
Now, it is through this tracking system that Netflix knows which limit of content to channel to viewers in different countries. Viewers in the UK are grouped and given the limited Netflix version based on location.
Access American Netflix in the UK
As mentioned above, you don’t get the same content on Netflix in the UK as it is in America. That is because of issues such as rights agreements and legal challenges. Ordinarily, this is the case, but with a trusted VPN tool, you can access American Netflix even if you are in the UK.
A VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It is a tool or service that masks your IP address using encrypted codes so that the Netflix surveillance team will not detect your real location to surf. You can create a secure connection between another device and yours. Then you can use that network connection or computer to surf the web. If they cannot detect your real location, they cannot block you from watching the restrictive American Netflix. That is simple logic indeed.
Note that VPN does not just unblock American Netflix for viewers outside the US; it also unblocks popular channels and streaming websites such as Hulu, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc.
How to Watch American Netflix Using A VPN
Now that you understand the importance and significance of a VPN in unblocking Netflix, you will be shown how to use it in watching your favorite shows. It is important to point out that all VPN versions function the same way with the same features, even though most of them are used more like browser plugins and not apps.
To make use of VPN in unblocking Netflix, do the following:
- Sign up and download a recommended and trustworthy VPN.
- Install the VPN on your device.
- Select from the available servers the VPN offers, preferably locations in the United States.
- More often than not, the VPN provider will let you use the service for free and for some time. That lets you do a kind of “test-run” of the tool to be sure it is what you want.
- Once you are satisfied with the service, you will be required to pay upfront to continue using the tool and even access more features. You can do a monthly or yearly subscription, or even for a couple of years. That is determined by the VPN provider of the VPN you have chosen.
- When choosing the location, you want to “fake,” ensure that it is arranged in the “list” format and not the “pin” format. The “pin” format is cluttered and less clear than the “list” version.
- Through the VPN, you can now enjoy streaming your favorite shows on American Netflix.
- Another alternative is installing the VPN on the router you use at home rather than just on the device. By doing this, you ensure that the internet traffic will pass through the tunnels created by the VPN no matter the device in use. Hence, you can connect several devices to one VPN account. Again, the number of devices used simultaneously on one VPN account depends on the VPN provider. A tool like Surfshark boasts of the highest in this category, letting you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously to one VPN account.
Using a VPN is not complicated once you get the right VPN to use. Most viewers have the challenge of selecting the best VPN to remove any restriction on their Netflix. That has been made even more challenging by the availability of a host of VPNs online, each promising to give the best result of encrypting online data and unblocking channels.
Features To Look Out For In Choosing The Right VPN
Okay, moving on. When watching American Netflix in the UK, you need to know what to look out for when choosing a VPN. Remember, many available VPNs promise to unblock the American Netflix for you; only a number deliver on their promises.
When choosing the right VPN for Netflix, ensure the following check out:
- The VPN must have a large number of servers spread across a great number of countries. Although in this article, the location you want is the US, it would be good to get a VPN that lets you access other countries’ content.
- Pay attention to the price range. You should note that the best VPNs cost the most. All the same, you can still get one or two that do not cost as much as the others. If you can afford it, go for the paid ones, so you get good value for your money.
- Get a VPN with a fast speed, enough to stream even HD videos without breaking in transmission or timing out.
- Choose the VPN that has apps that are compatible with multiple devices. It is more so if you have several different devices to connect to one VPN account. You don’t want to get a VPN that doesn’t have an app that is compatible with your Android, do you?
Below is a list of VPNs that have been tried and are trusted to get you the access you need to watch the American Netflix in the UK:
- Surfshark VPN
- Private Internet Access (PIA)
- CyberGhost VPN
- Private VPN
- Pure VPN
- IPVanish VPN, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What do I need to access American Netflix in the UK?
A: Netflix is quite easy to watch the shows through a steamer or on a Smart TV.
You can also watch Netflix via a tablet or a phone, as well as your PC. However, to watch American Netflix in the UK, you will need the following:
- A Netflix subscription or an account with Netflix.
- A VPN service that hasn’t been banned on Netflix. That is the paid version most times as it ensures you get the full package for your subscription.
- A special router setting for your Wi-Fi or a VPN app because this will allow you to use your selected VPN on your device: phone, TV, tablet, etc.
- It is easy to watch American Netflix on your phone or your computer (steps outlined below).
- For Netflix on your TV, it is better to use a streamer. That could be the Amazon Fire TV Stick. All the recommended VPNs can easily connect to the Fire TV as they have dedicated apps for this purpose. However, you should note that American Netflix may not always work on the Fire TV even if you use the best VPNs.
Q: Can I Use Free VPNs to Access Netflix?
A: There are free VPNs available online for you to use for any online traffic encryption. The big question is, “should you use free VPNs to access Netflix?”.
The best advice is no. Free VPNs come with several issues that may end up adding to your problems rather than solving them. These problems could include one or all of the following:
- Your privacy is not protected as your information is sold for “free” to the highest bidder.
- Netflix easily blocks free VPNs as they are mostly incapable of keeping up with the surveillance of Netflix.
- They are not fast enough to ensure smooth streaming of TV content.
However, some paid VPN services let you do a free trial for a couple of days. That is usually a kind of assessment period to decide if you want to pay for the VPN in the long run. Also, the VPNs mentioned in this article give you a money-back guarantee. That means that if you don’t wish to use the VPN at any point during the time frame, you can get back your money. By doing this, you are not risking your money even though the tool is not free.
Q: Is it a Legal Infringement to Use a VPN to Watch American Netflix in the UK?
A: Netflix has not made it clear if it will ban viewers’ accounts using VPN to access and stream their content. However, Netflix has stated clearly that any improper use of the platform is prohibited. It is contained in Netflix’s terms of service, so read it if you haven’t.
Based on this premise, Netflix sends out its surveillance team to always check for any VPN or proxy server used in accessing geo-blocked content. That has affected many VPNs and put them out of business. That is why you need a very efficient VPN to hide any traceable online data. This way, you can go around the restriction placed on Netflix in the UK.
In a nutshell, although bypassing geo-blocking is not necessarily against the law, it is against the terms of service of Netflix. They may soon start banning users for this even though they haven’t started. By the way, Netflix actively blocks users from going around geo-blocking.
According to the data provided by “Finder” after some research in 2018, the American Netflix had 4,052 movies while the UK Netflix version had about 3,616 films. This margin keeps widening year by year. Also, the film and show selection are very different as viewers in the US get them earlier than those in the UK. It is why viewers in the UK have been asking if there is a way they can watch the American Netflix version even without leaving the UK. The simple and short answer is yes.
This article has shown you how you can view the American Netflix in 2021 without being blocked. With a recommended VPN (check the list above), you are assured of getting access to all the best Netflix has to offer you.