Are looking for reliable and effective antivirus software that is able to protect your PC from unwanted malicious programs? This article will provide you an evaluation of ones of the most popular and widely used antivirus software in the market Avast AntiVirus Free and AVG AntiVirus Free. In 2006 AVG Technologies became a subsidiary of Avast Software.
Avast is one of the most popular antivirus and internet security software used by millions across the globe. The company was established in 1988 and by now has 400 million customers in 150 countries worldwide. Avast uses next-gen technology and has an immense cloud-based machine learning engine which perceives information from all users. The company also created a scalable cloud-based security infrastructure which analyzes all online processes.
Avast AntiVirus software offers a protection against viruses, hackers’ attacks, fraudulent and malicious websites, and other cyber threats. Avast offers three versions of antivirus, one free, and two paid, Avast Internet Security and Avast Premier. It also offers AVAST Ultimate which covers all its security products for PC.
Researchers at Reviewed by Pro used the software for about 30 days with Windows 10 OS, 8 GB of RAM and SSD disc.
- The antivirus offers many useful features that include multiple times of scans, Cyber Capture, ransomware protection, Wi-Fi inspector, Intelligent Antivirus, and even more.
- Fast scanning process. It is worth to mention that Smart Scan only took 5 minutes.
- The software does not disrupt the system performance even while scanning.
- Good Virus detection rate.
- Avast offers automatic Game Mode which is extremely useful if you do not want to be disturbed when playing games or doing other full-screen activities.
- If you want to use all the features Avast offers, you have to purchase the full version of the software.
- Avast automatically extend the subscription once it ended, so if you do not continue using Avast you have to cancel the subscription in advance.
Avast AntiVirus Free for PC supports Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista or XP SP3 both 32 and 64 versions 256 MB + RAM and 1.5 GB of hard disk space.
The Final Verdict
Researchers at Reviewed by Pro noted that the software is reliable and stable.
The program is one of the better ones out there. It has tons of useful features, and you can try it for free before purchasing the full version.
AVG AntiVirus was developed by AVG Technologies. The brand AVG came from “Anti-Virus Guard” which was launched in 1992 in the Czech Republic. AVG launched AVG Free Edition to help raise awareness of the AVG brand and today it is one of the most popular internet security software across the globe. Since 2016 AVG was acquired by Avast for $1.3 million and became a part of Avast family.
AVG provides internet protection, performance and privacy solutions for individual customers and businesses for Windows, macOS and Android operating systems.
AVG AntiVirus offers its customers two versions, the free and the paid one. Researchers at Reviewed by Pro tested the free version of the application for 30 days. According to researchers, the free version is a great low-budget option as it offers tons of useful features.
Researchers also revealed pros and cons of the antivirus.
- AVG Free Antivirus detected and removed almost all of the malware from the infected PC. However, it did not work with browser hijackers.
- AVG Free Antivirus has a very clear and easy to operate user interface. The antivirus also offers a possibility to expand the user interface with all of the advanced options.
- The software does not have a negative impact or the system and does not drown the operational system.
- Advanced real-time protection that flagged about 80% of incoming threats and blocked them during the installation. The rest 20% was blocked later after a reboot.
- Customer support is not helpful enough and if you need to talk to a real person, it can take some time before you can reach an AVG technician.
- AVG Free AntiVirus does not offer free virus removal help if you get infected.
- The antivirus left inactive icons on the desktop, even though the threats were already removed.
- The scan took longer than an average antivirus software.
The software supports Windows XP SP3, Vista SP2 or higher, Windows 7 SP1 or higher, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10. AVG also offers security for Mac and Android devices.
The Final Verdict
Researchers at Reviewed by pro noted that AVG AntiVirus is one of the best programs in the game. The antivirus is also one of the most downloaded applications on the market.
The perfect rates of virus and malware detection and removal along with a great real-time protection make up for its not-so-good customer support. The program has another strong side which lies in the user interface – it is really one of the best in the game because of the simplicity, yet we know there are lots of advanced options in there too.
All in all, AVG Free Antivirus 2017 is a decent program, but it doesn’t give a full set of tools to stay safe online.
The software products are quite similar, both Avast AntiVirus and AVG AntiVirus offer free basic protection and paid version of the software that includes more useful features.
However, if you are looking for completely free software, AVG AntiVirus scored better in malware detection and removal and provides more advanced real-time protection. However, AVG scans took pretty long time, and it does not remove browser hijackers.
Avast AntiVirus offers many useful features including Game Mode, Behavior Shield, Cyber Capture, Smart Scan and more. Avast scans are also fast and do not drown the system. However, if you want to unlock all the useful features you have to purchase the full version.
Overall, if you are looking for reliable and stable free antivirus software with great protection and malware removal rates, AVG AntiVirus Free would be a great choice for you. Meanwhile, if you are looking for quick and lightweight antivirus with many useful features and good malware detection and removal rates, Avast would be just right for you.