The names AVG and Avast may seem identical, and some may confuse it to be the same product. If you are one of those people and wish to know all the answers, then your timing could not have been better as we will show you the difference between the two antivirus software and which one of them you should get in 2020.
AVG versus Avast antivirus software – A quick summary:
If you wish to know the conclusion of this article quickly, then this is the segment for you as we have summarized the full article into one small part with all the critical information regarding AVG and Avast antivirus software for you to understand the analysis fully.
- Pricing – AVG and Avast both had the same type of pricing offers aimed towards the individual user, and it is why the contest was a Tie(AVG & Avast Antivirus Software);
- Antivirus Protection Rating – We decided to declare Avast antivirus software as the winner due to its superior performance in our protection analysis versus AVG antivirus software;
- System-Performance Impact – AVG antivirus software won the performance impact round thanks to it being more compatible and supportive as compared to Avast;
- Features – This contest was a definite draw as both services had precisely the same type of functions and protective utility. Tie(AVG & Avast Antivirus Software)
- User Interface – Avast’s interface was far more detailed out and intuitive as compared to what AVG had to offer, which seemed a bit dull to our taste. The winner was Avast antivirus software;
- Customer Support Service – AVG antivirus software had all the customer care facilities one could have hoped for, such as live chat and email support to sort out all the software-related issues of the user. It is why AVG Antivirus Software won this round.
|Discount for our readers||-20% Off||-20% Off|
|Pricing||From 39.57 / 3 devices for 1 year||From $39.99 / device for 1 year|
Avast versus AVG – A prologue
Viruses and data hacking attempts have been causing headaches ever since the inception of the internet, and no time is better than the present to get rid of them once and for all. It is mainly thanks to the introduction of the software, such as antivirus, into the mainstream world of technology. It doesn’t matter if you have a free program or you have paid for it; the important thing is to lace the computer and other electronic devices with such software to nullify any such inconvenience.
Continuing with our series of antivirus software comparison, we will look into the various facets of AVG and Avast antivirus software with this article. We will also reveal the name of the real winner of the two at the very end of it.
The pricing round was a tie as both Avast and AVG had pretty much the same pricing offers for the users
The world functions and carries on primarily through the open market, where individuals have the freedom to inspect each product for their specific needs and pay for its services. The same is the case with antivirus software as you have to pay some kind to amount to maintain quality and foolproof protection against various forms of viruses. In this section of the article, we will show you the different packages and the respective prices of AVG and Avast antivirus software and see which one of them is light on the pocket of the average consumer while offering better utilities.
The Pricing Plans of AVG antivirus software:
AVG offers a friendly free version that has a potent ability to stop viruses, spyware, ransomware, and other malware while blocking unsafe links on your computers such as downloads and email attachments. If you wish to get more advanced features across an infinite number of devices, then the ultimate package of AVG antivirus software is available for a small price of $95.99 per month. Furthermore, AVG’s VPN service allows you to share a single account on a maximum of 5 devices at $71.99 per year. The rest of the information is as follows:
The Pricing Plans of Avast antivirus software:
Similar to AVG, Avast antivirus software also has a free version that does an adequate job at blocking viruses and other malware from the PC, scan the Wi-Fi network in your home or office for potential intrusion and weaknesses and also locking your several account passwords in a vault where only you have the power of accessibility.
Moreover, the premium plans offer other services such as ransomware protection, a VPN, and much more starting at the price of $55.99 per year across a single Windows computer. The multi-device ultimate package is much more affordable than the individual device one as you only have to pay a small price of $71.99 per year for the opportunity to use the account on as much as 10 devices of all platforms. The additional details are in the table stated below:
The Decision: Tie(AVG & Avast Antivirus Software)
Although AVG offered coverage across an unlimited number of Windows PC, such plans are more lucrative to businesses more than the individual user. The basic offers of both AVG and Avast antivirus software were pretty similar, and it was impossible to pick out a sole winner, which is why our team decided to declare this contest as a tie.
Avast’s superiority in tackling new and old malware was no match to AVG antivirus software
Billions of new malware attacks are being recorded each year, and no time is more dreadful than the present. It is why antivirus software have to be more heedful to such threats. We have arranged for the following methods to check the protection effectiveness of AVG and Avast antivirus software:
- The aptitude to detect malware with no software signatures;
- The capability to ascertain and respond to new versions of malware that we had collected over the course of a full month before the test.
The protection policy of AVG antivirus software:
AVG’s results were mediocre, and it fell behind the industry average of both the tests that our experts conducted. Against an industry efficiency of 99.4% in the real-world test, AVG only got a score of 99%. The same was the case with the assay to identify the latest forms of malware as AVG antivirus software fell behind with a score of 99.2% when the industry average was set to 100%. It is why AVG got a score of 9 out of 10.
The protection policy of Avast antivirus software:
Avast was brilliant through and through when we performed the methods mentioned above on it. It got a 100% efficiency rate in both the tests and succeeded in identifying every type of both signatureless and newer malware without any shred of indecision. The obvious choice was to give Avast antivirus software a perfect score of 10.
|Protection agains 0-day malware attacks (web and email threats)||100%||99.4%|
|Detection of most common spread malware in last 4 years||100%||99.0%|
The Decision: Avast Antivirus Software won against AVG
Avast antivirus software won the protection comparison fair and square as AVG lacked the finesse and the quality that Avast showed. However, AVG still got a score of 9.0 as we felt that it had the potential to improve and give better performance with the new update against the same screening method.
AVG allowed the computer more breathing room than Avast antivirus software
Antivirus software has a knack to lessen the efficiency of the lesser systems, and it is the one thing that tends to push potential customers away in availing the service in the first place as no one wants to hire a product that could put a substantial impact on the proficiency of their routine functions on the system. In this part of the comparative analysis of AVG and Avast antivirus software, we will perform several tasks that are stated underneath with the PC while using both AVG and Avast one by one to check their impact on the system’s performance:
- Opening URLs;
- Downloading new apps on the PC;
- Installing new apps on the same system;
- Launching standard programs on the computer;
- Transferring data here and there within the device.
The impact on the performance of the system by Avast antivirus software:
There were no significant glitches with the performance of the system during most of the routine operations mentioned above. But the PC showed visible signs of disrupting when high-end websites were opened through its default web browser, especially when we tried to stream a video through the platform such as Youtube and Twitch. It is why we preferred to give Avast antivirus software a proud score of 9/10.
The impact on the performance of the system by AVG antivirus software:
AVG antivirus software got a perfect score of 10/10 as the PC went about with its regular business and didn’t show any signs of discomfort or sluggishness while keeping it continued to scan the entire system for viruses and other potential threats.
The Decision: AVG was the winner against Avast antivirus software
Other than some slight signs of glitch while installing new apps and opening standard programs on the system, Avast gave excellent results, and we consider it to be among the best in the game of antivirus software. But, it was still no match with AVG antivirus as it not only gave excellent results but made the computer more efficient while killing viruses and keeping it safe. It is why the winner of the performance impact contest was AVG.
AVG and Avast antivirus software shared similar features for user security
The functions and features of the antivirus software are an essential part of increasing its market value. Given how criminals and hackers have found severely potent ways to disturb the data and devices of the average users, the antivirus service providers need to provide much more than standard ways to tackle such threats that are countless. Now we will share the various features of AVG and Avast antivirus software and see whether they have the firepower to stop the different levels of data threats.
The features of AVG antivirus software:
AVG antivirus software is an all-rounder that provides all the security functions to its user with full force while leaving no room for casualness. From a VPN to keeping a firm eye on your money, AVG has it all.
Here are some of the standard and some advanced features of AVG antivirus software:
- Virus Protection – To delete every virus that touches the system from existence;
- App Lock – To add security layer around your preferred apps;
- The browser and Disk Cleaner – To increase the efficiency of the PC by deleting temp files;
- Payment Protection and Anti-Theft – To prevent anyone from accessing your payment records or duplicate them;
- Webcam and Email Protection – To keep the camera away from hackers and email account spam-free;
- Hacker Protection & Anti-Phishing – To disallow any attempts to snoop or hack your data;
- VPN – To browse anonymously on the internet without complete freedom;
- Smart Photo Cleaner – To erase similar photos from the system and increase its storage space.
The features of Avast antivirus software:
From protection against viruses to managing our online accounts through the password manager, Avast antivirus software has it all, and it is why the service is among the leading antiviruses in the world.
Here are some of those advanced features that we were talking about:
- The Sandbox– To open malicious URLs safely;
- The Wi-Fi Inspector – To check vulnerabilities within your home network;
- Data Shredder – To erase files beyond recovery;
- Secure Line VPN of Avast – To access restricted content through 54 servers in 34 countries;
- The Cleanup utility of Avast – To enhance the working efficiency of the system;
- Webcam Shield – To prevent hackers from accessing your PC’s camera.
The Decision: Tie(AVG & Avast Antivirus Software)
Both Avast and AVG antivirus software had pretty much the same features, and all of them were extremely potent every known or unknown virus or other threat on the internet. It is why this round was a draw.
The interface of Avast antivirus software was more user-friendly and elegant than AVG’s app
The intuitive nature of the antivirus’s interface is what brings us out of panic mode when we accidentally open a virus-infected file or URL of such kind. It allows us to act instantly on what option/feature to enable so that any potential is dealt with accordingly. Panic rises much higher if the user is unable to access the interface or app due to its inaccessible or choppy nature. In this part of the analysis, we will check whether AVG and Avast antivirus programs have an intuitive interface for their customer or not.
The interface of Avast antivirus software:
In front of a dark purple and whitish layout is the vertical menu of Avast that is mainly the gateway to access various utilities of the service that we have discussed in the previous section:
- Status – This option allows you to check the present state of the entire system. It also provides the means to scan it at any sign of trouble;
- Protection – You can access extra security functions of the antivirus software that are other than a simple virus scanner like Ransomware Shield and Sandbox;
- Privacy – You can enable added protection, and privacy features through this button like VPN, Hacker Protection, Data Shredder, and Webcam Protection;
- Performance – If you wish to clean or start the tuning process of your system, then this is the button that you should push. It allows you to access the data cleaner and driver/software updater facility.
The settings options offer you time or schedule the next scan so that you would get on with your routine without any interruptions. Speaking of interruptions, if you ever get tired of Avast’s pop-up notifier, then the “Do Not Disturb” mode of Avast forbids those notifications to pop up without your permission.
The interface of AVG antivirus software:
With a stylish darkish green and white layout, the AVG antivirus software has a simple interface that offers the user to select the following options to enable protection of their preference within their computer system:
- Computer – It allows you to scan the entire system for viruses or start them whenever you like it;
- Web & Email – You can initiate the email and URL malware protection by going through this specific option. It also inspects the vulnerabilities within your PC;
- Hacker Alerts – If you have this facility enabled then you will be immediately notified so that you respond to the threat accordingly;
- Privacy Data – You can allow Webcam protection and other services like the VPN through this button;
- Payments – This option permits you to manage your payment methods and other subscriptions.
The Decision: Avast antivirus software was the winner
The whole app interface of Avast antivirus acted like proper software should behave, and it is why it won this round. AVG’s interface seemed a bit old school and needs an appropriate revamping to beat precise services like Avast.
AVG antivirus software was the winner of the customer care comparison due to miscellany in its customer care facility
Sometimes even the most intuitive interface in the world fails to perform, and it may agitate the user on the receiving end. The customer care program is the fail-safe of the services like the antivirus software that allows the user to find the answer to their problem or query in a much more professional manner, primarily with the help of video tutorials, live chat, and FAQs. If you wish to know all about the customer care service of Avast and AVG antivirus software, then this is the segment of the article to see the answer.
The customer support program of AVG antivirus software:
The FAQs and other forms of customer convenience are accessible and categorized under the respective operating systems(Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS) and the antivirus packages AVG Internet Security and AVG Ultimate) that the user has opted for themselves.
If that doesn’t work for you, then the package users of AVG antivirus software have the chance to use the live chat facility that is available 24/7, without any discrepancies.
The customer support program of Avast antivirus software:
Even though Avast doesn’t have any such live chat facility, but it was a very well thought out support section that has separate guides and all the basic FAQs under various categories that are as follows:
- Installation & Activation – To learn how to install the software on multiple devices and understand the method to activate the package that you have paid for;
- Refund Request – To utilize Avast’s 30-day money-back guarantee and find out the method to submit the refund request through the proper channel if you do not receive the intended satisfaction from the service;
- Subscription & Account – To find out the various means to subscribe to a new package and how to manage the account in question;
- Sales & Billing – To know the various means to pay for the services so that all transaction is done safely.
Although the lack of live chat facility should be taken into account, Avast’s community forum permits the customers in need of any assistance to learn a lot about their specific issue with the software from individuals who had previously dealt with the same problem.
The Decision: AVG Antivirus Software won this customer care comparison
AVG antivirus had all the means for customer satisfaction that one requires from a quality software service. Even though live chat facility is only available for the premium customers and we wish that AVG permits other users to utilize the service, it was the deciding factor in leading AVG to victory in this part of the comparison.
Avast antivirus software was the final winner versus AVG based on the ratings we calculated
The whole comparison could have gone either way due to extreme levels of similarities between Avast and AVG antivirus service. But Avast made the most impact where it mattered most and performed excellently during the protection and interface comparison while falling a bit short in the system-impact contest. It is why we decided to declare Avast antivirus software as the final winner of the whole fight.
Check out the table below to learn the grounds on we based our final verdict: