The article will guide you to the free antivirus and security software for Mac. It is worth to mention, that computer security should be a major concern for users. Especially following the WannaCry ransomware attack, major data breaches, including Uber, Equifax and even more.
If you keep your devices patched, up to date and use a reliable Internet security package you don’t have to worry about any cyber threats.
Even though the vast majority cybercriminals target Windows devices, you have to keep in mind that Macs are targeted as well. Macs are generally more secure due to its macOS is a Unix-based operating system. Thus as a Unix-based operating system, macOS is sandboxed. However, even if macOS computers are more secure compared to Windows, it does not mean you do not need to protect your Mac to ensure a complete safety of your data, identity and protect you from cyber threats.
So if you want to have a reliable and stable free security solution for your mac, you came to the right place. This article will provide you with the basic information about the most popular and widely used free security for Mac: Avira, AVG and Avast.
Avira Free AntiVirus for Mac
A German-based multinational cybersecurity company, Avira Operations GmbH & Co develops Internet security software, Privacy, Identity tools for both, home and business users. It also provides software for Windows, Android, and macOS.
Avira Free AntiVirus for Mac provides you highest level protection for free. The software is easy to install and use. You can scan your entire Mac’s system and repair folders with a single click.
Avira Free Security Suite includes Antivirus, VPN, and Safe Search. It is also award-winning software and according to AV-Comparatives,
In a test specifically targeting viruses for Mac, AV-Comparatives found that Avira Free Antivirus for Mac detected an outstanding 100% of all malware. The testers also highlighted the “clear, easy-to-use interface.
What does Avira Free Antivirus for Mac offer?
- Real-Time Scanner that analyzes every single file which accesses the system.
- System Scanner which is configurable and searches for all known malicious programs and viruses.
- Configurator easily configures the software and optimizes it for your requirements.
- Quarantine management quarantines and manages the suspicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
- The Activity Stream is also included and provides consumers an overview of security-related issues and activities on your Mac.
- Integrated Scheduler recurs tasks such as updates and scans.
- Finally, In-Product Tour provides users with an overview of all the features of the software.
In order to run Avira Free for Mac, you need a Mac running OS X 10.11 (ElCapitan} or later and 2 GB of RAM, more than 2 GB of hard disk space and internet connection.
AVG AntiVirus for Mac
AVG Technologies is subsidiary of Avast Software, and AVG AntiVirus family is well known and widely used around a world. It offers security packages for Windows, macOS, and Android for both, individual users and businesses.
AVG AntiVirus for Mac protects what matters. AVG offers its users with simple design and easy to use interface together with powerful malware detection and cleaner that works in real-time. AVG detects and removes not only Mac-specific malware and spyware but PC and mobile threats as well.
Why AVG AntiVirus for Mac?
- AVG Antivirus is always on and runs quietly in the background without bigger interruptions or distractions.
- AVG also provides automatic updates, in order to keep you secure against the latest.
- Triple Protection offered by AVG protects not only you but also your relatives and friends. AVG’s award-winning technology scans for Mac, PC and Android-based malware and spyware. So it ensures that your Mac is protected as well as you are not sharing any threats with others with PC or Android devices.
- Every time you open, copy or save a file, it is automatically scanned from malware or any other cyber threats
- You can scan particular files or folders by dragging and dropping them to a displayed window. In addition, if you want to scan the full system, it requires an only single click.
AVG AntiVirus for Mac is compatible with OS X Mountain Lion or later.
Avast Free for Mac
Avast Software was established in 1988 and has 30 years’ experience in the cybersecurity industry. Avast offers users security products for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Avast offers free Essential security and paid Premium security for Mac.
Avast Free for Mac provides three-level of security that includes malware, malicious websites and vulnerable Wi-Fi networks protections.
What does Avast Free for Mac offer?
- Real-time Protection rust silently in the background and blocks cyber threats.
- Full Mac Scan. Runs in-depth and scans your entire system in order to detect hidden malicious apps.
- Custom Scan. This feature allows you to scan specific files and folders, for quick and targeted scans.
- Security Reports provides you personalized reports every 30 days.
- Total Malware detection. The feature prevents you from sharing infected files with those who use Windows devices.
- Removable Drive Scan scans external drives attached to your mac, including CD, DVD, USB, and others.
- Scheduled Scans will ensure the protection of your computer and scan it while you are away from your Mac.
- Real-Time Security Updates provides you all the latest updates and features automatically.
Browser and Email protection
- Web Shield blocks all malicious downloads and protects from malicious and suspicious websites.
- Email Shield protects you from sharing and receiving infected and malicious emails.
- Online security warns you about suspicious websites, blocks intrusive adware tracking and redirects you to correct sites.
Wi-Fi network security – Avast for Mac scans an entire Wi-Fi network and all connected devices in order to detect vulnerabilities and protect your network and personal data.
In addition, the Pro version offers real-time security and protection against ransomware.
In order to run Avast Free for Mac, you need a Mac that runs macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) and later and at least 500 MB of disk space. An internet connection is also necessary for automatic updates.