Some Windows 10 users have reported that the Windows Update error 0x1900208 occurs while they are trying to update their PCs. You might wonder what this error means, so it means that some kind of incompatible software installed on your Windows PC prevents the update from taking place. In addition, some of the third-party antivirus applications have been conflicting with the most recent Windows updates.
This article will provide you two methods how you can resolve the Windows Update error 0x1900208 and fix Windows Update.
Method 1: Fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 by removing culprit programs
Some of the third-party antivirus applications and tools, such as CheckpointVPN or Glyph are known to be conflicting with the most recent Windows Updates. If you want to fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2, you have to find such applications and remove them. In order to do so, take the following steps:
- Press Windows + E and launch Windows Explorer. In the address bar type or paste C:\\Windows\\Panther and press Enter.
- Find the Compat*.xml file in the Panther folder. Launch the Compat*.xml file in any text editor you choose.
- The name of incompatible application will appear in the file.
- Access the Command Prompt by clicking Ctrl + R and type ‘appwiz.cpl’, then hit OK.
- Open the Programs window and search for the incompatible application in the installed apps list and simply uninstall it by double-clicking on it and following the uninstall prompt.
- Reboot your Windows PC and run the Windows Update to see if the error has been fixed.
If reading the XML file is difficult or discomforting, you can also use Media Creator (ISO) which will tell you which applications can possibly prevent from installing the update.
Method 2: Fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 by resetting Windows Update components
You can also try to fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 by resetting Windows Update components. In order to do so take the following steps:
- Press Start button to open an elevated Command Prompt and type ‘cmd’, and access as an administrator.
- Type these commands in the elevated Command Prompt: net stop bits; net stop wuauserv; net stop appidsvc; net stop cryptsvc. This will stop the further Windows Update related services.
- Enter these commands to rename the software distribution folder backup copies: ren %systemroot%\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak; ren %systemroot%\\system32\\catroot2 catroot2.bak.
- Further, you have to restart the services stopped earlier. In order to do so, use these commands: net start bits; net start wuauserv; net start appidsvc; net start cryptsvc.
- Restart the PC to see if the error has been fixed.