Many users reported about the error 0x80070bc2. The error usually appears while installing a new Windows update in Windows 10. The update fails to install when the error occurs.
This article will provide users seven simple methods how to fix Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 in Windows 10.
Method 1: Fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 by rebooting your PC
One of the simplest ways to fix the Windows Update 0x80070bc2 is to reboot a PC. In order to do so, take the following steps:
1. By right-clicking Start button, select Search
2. In the search box type ‘cmd’ and access the Command Prompt
Or right-click the Start button and in the search results choose Command Prompt.
3. Type ‘SC config trustedinstaller start= auto’ in the Command Prompt window.
4. Reboot the computer and see if the error is fixed.
Method 2: Fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 by running Windows Update Troubleshooter
In order to fix the Windows Update 0x80070bc2, you can also download Microsoft’s Windows Update Troubleshooter tool.
If you want to fix the error by running Windows Update troubleshooter take the following steps:
- Download the Windows 10 Troubleshooter tool from the official Microsoft site.
- Install the Windows troubleshooter tool and launch it.
- Complete the troubleshooting process.
- Reboot your PC and see if the error is fixed.
Method 3: Fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 by resetting Windows Update components
There are instances when the Windows update error 0x80070bc2 is linked to the corruption of Windows update services or vulnerable and compromised update files. So if you want to resolve the error, you can also try to reset Windows Update components by taking the following steps:
- By right-clicking Windows key select Administrator: Command Prompt
- Type these commands one by one and press Enter button after you typed each in:
net stop bits; net stop vuauserv; net stop appidsvc; net stop cryptsvc; net stop msiserver; netsh winsock reset; netsh winhttp.
3. Finally, reboot the computer and see if the error is fixed.
Method 4: Fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 by disabling antivirus software
Some users reported that some third-party antivirus programs interfere with the Windows Update. As a result, the Windows Update 0x80070bc2 error occurs. So you can try to temporarily disable antivirus application on your PC. After the Windows Update successfully completes, enable the antivirus application again.
Method 5: Fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 by performing a clean boot
You should keep in mind that the software that interferes with each other can also lead to the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 in Windows 10. In order to avoid this error, you can perform a clean boot by following these steps:
- Press Windows key + R and open the Run window.
- Type ‘msconfig’ and press OK.
- When the System Configuration window appears, find the Services tab and check the box “Hide all Microsoft services” and select Disable All.
- Then, select Open Task Manager in the Startup Tab and Disable every startup item. Once you disable each startup item, exit Task Manager.
- Repeat 1,2 and 3 steps and click the Startup tab.
- Reboot the computer and see if the error is fixed.
Method 6: Fix the Windows Update error 0x80070bc2 by updating Windows 10 drivers
Some users reported that Windows 10 driver issues can lead to the Windows update error 0x80070bc2. In order to fix the issue, you can also use a driver update utility such as Driver Talent. The tool will automatically download and install the most compatible Windows 10 drivers for you.
Method 7: Fix the Windows Update 0x80070bc2 error by using a system restore
Using a system restore could also resolve the Windows Update 0x80070bc2 error in Windows 10. To perform a system restore, follow these steps: (keep in mind that Administrator permissions are required)
- Reboot the computer.
- Right-click the Start and choose System.
- Click on System Protection.
- Select System Restore and click Next in the System Restore window.
- Chose the most recent system restore point, then click next and Finish.