Hola could be named as one of the most popular free VPN in the world. Today it has more than 186 million users around the world and this number keeps growing. Many users believe that Hola VPN is suitable for an increase in privacy and security while browsing the internet. Many people around the world have faced the problem when Hola was blocked or not working by Netflix. Many users cannot access it anymore. In this article, we are going to review this problem and provide you the solution on how to get unbanned from Netflix using an alternative VPN.
If you don't have time to read all the article, there is the list of Hola Netflix Blocked Workaround VPNs:
- ExpressVPN – one of the best VPN on the market, very good connections speed, very strong encryption and no log policy. Works great with Netflix.
- NordVPN – great VPN for any user, unblocks Netflix from many countries, great user interface, a wide range of server selection around the globe, great support and no log policy. Suits perfect for Netflix.
- CyberGhostVPN – Works fine with Netflix from many countries, good connection speed, strong encryption, protection, and no log policy. Works without the interruptions with Netflix.
What is Hola VPN and should I use it?
Hola was established in 2012, Israel. It is not the typical VPN service with the park of their own servers. It is working totally different compared to the other VPN competitors. Hola VPN works in a P2P (Peer-to-Peer) system, which means that a connection is made by their own users' PCs. In other words, your PC can become a VPN server if you will install a Hola VPN application. It is a community-powered VPN where users share their PC and internet resources around the world.
As we have tested HolaVPN, but unfortunately, it did not leave a good impression as a service. After the installation Hola on our PC, Netflix was not working from the beginning. We have tried many different countries, but no luck. It seems that Netflix has blocked the entire network of Hola.
We were digging deeper and found out, that torrenting is not working as well. Also, we have tried to contact the support desk and ask about all those problems. Guess what? No response to our questions. So the support is very poor.
Internet connection speed is different every time because the connection is made to a different user with different internet plan at home or office.
Also, it is worth to mention that Hola is logging all your internet activity and sells it to a third party advertising companies, which will use that data for reaching you out with the advertising. Moreover
Finally, Hola is not encrypting any traffic and your browsing data is not secure and might be shared with the third party.
Naturally, the question has risen: “- why am I using a Hola VPN?”
To our opinion it is worthless service imitating a real VPN service, without any reasonable benefits. No encryption, no support, unstable internet speed, data might be shared or exposed to third parties, and it not works with Netflix.
What is Netflix policy and how it works?
Today Netflix is available in 190 countries around the world. It is available almost everywhere, where is an available internet connection. Some countries are not letting U.S. companies work in a region by the law legislations: China, North Korea, and some other countries.
The interesting fact is that the content is different for every region. For example, the content in the U.S. is totally different from the content in Asia. So if you want to bypass geographical restrictions, you should use a VPN.
Why Netflix is blocking their content?
Netflix is blocking its content because of the agreement with the media providers. Some of the content cannot be shown in certain regions because of the local internet censorship laws. Netflix doesn’t want to violate the laws and agreements with the media providers and they should do something about that. Many users have started to manipulate by the restrictions using a VPN and Netflix has taken some actions on it.
How Netflix is blocking VPNs?
Every year Netflix is investing a lot of money on improving their VPN detection system. It means that every year it is getting harder to unblock Netflix with the VPN. Some of the VPN service providers are not even trying to bypass “the great wall of Netflix” and some of them are focusing on it and doing it very well. We have tested more than 50 VPN service and we have something to say about it, but first of all, we would like to introduce you with the types of Netflix blocking algorithms:
VPN blocking by shared IP
VPN providers are sharing one IP address with many users at the same VPN server (for example U.S., New York). When many users at the same time connect Netflix’s servers, the security algorithms is triggered. Netflix VPN detection system understands that this IP belongs to a VPN and blocks it.
VPN service Blocking by IP
If you are using a VPN service, which IP is blacklisted by Netflix, there is no chance to connect to it. That is a very simple process which is called “VPN blocking by IP”. VPN service providers must create new virtual servers with the new IPs to bypass that block. Some VPN providers are focusing on Netflix Geoblock and create as many new IPs as possible. Hola VPN is blocked in a different way, we will come to it soon.
VPN service blocking by Ports
Similar to IP address blocking, Netflix and other streaming companies are blocking most common ports used by VPN service providers and blocks them too.
VPN service blocking by Deep Packet Inspection (DPI)
Netflix is also using a DPI technique – deep packet analysis. This algorithm is analyzing data packets that are moving inside and outside the network. By gathered data, an algorithm detects which traffic could come from the VPNs and blocks it. That’s how Hola’s users are detected and blocked.
Better alternatives for Hola Netflix Blocked VPN
As we have mentioned before, we have tried many VPN services and would name Hola as one of the worst VPN imitating solution, which tricks users by thinking that their privacy is secure.
We did a list of evaluation of the better alternatives for Hola Netflix blocked VPN by these criteria:
- Connection speed – using Hola, your internet connection speed will be different every time, that’s why we have selected only those VPN which gives you a stable and dedicated speed for the internet.
- Server Coverage – As it was mentioned before, Netflix is blocking VPN server every day. So if you want to enjoy Netflix for a long time, you need to choose a VPN service provider which can offer more servers to switch after the Netflix block.
- Multi-platform support – It is worth to mention, that Hola is not supporting PS4, Xbox, and many other devices. So what’s the point of using Hola if you cannot stream Netflix on your favorite gaming console?
- Support – Let's not talk too much about the support experience, while using Hola, let’s just focus on those VPN service providers which can provide you a superior support 24/7.
- Price – sometimes the price is not so important if you need great service, but sometimes a free service can make much more harm to your online privacy and security. Let’s pay money for the reasonable service only.
1. Unblock and Watch Netflix with ExpressVPN
You might already know, that ExpressVPN is a very popular service around the globe and trusted by thousands of users. Maybe this VPN is not the cheapest, but we can admit that the price is worth quality. With this VPN you can be sure that the connection speed will be perfect from any point of the world.
You don't need to worry about privacy and security. The encryption level is amazing and it does not affect the connection speed at all. You can browse adult websites, unblock Netflix, Netflix, Amazon Prime, do banking tasks without the fear.
Express VPN supports multi-device function and can work on various operating systems and devices: Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Linux, open-source routers, BlackBerrys, Kindle Fire, Chromebooks, Barnes & Noble Nook tablets, Apple TV, Fire TV, PlayStation, Android TV box and others.
Moreover, there are available add-ons for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari for even better browsing experience.
Also, you don't need to worry about the bandwidth, which is unlimited. No additional fee for every single option.
So this VPN we would consider as one of the best VPN for online streaming (Netflix, Netflix).
|Compatible with many devices and platforms||High price|
|High level of security||Configuration limits|
|24/7 customer service||No ad blocker|
It is also important to mention that you have the choice of 30-day money-back guarantee, so there are literally no risks to the user – you can get your money back if something goes wrong. Read more about ExpressVPN
2.Unblock and Watch Netflix with NordVPN
|Price from||$3.49 (-70% deal)
|Oder VPN with a discount|
|More information||NordVPN review|
Everybody likes NordVPN for a very friendly and modern user interface. It offers a wide range of server locations around the world. NordVPN servers are located in 62 different countries and contain more than 5000 servers.
Nord Virtual Private Network is a great choice for those who want to visit sites that are unavailable in their own country (for example porn websites) and to stream video (Netflix, Netflix).
We are have picked NordVPN as the second best VPN for streaming video online.
The main features of NordVPN:
- NordVPN secures user internet activity from hackers and malicious software, including Ad Blocker. In order to have the highest possible level of security, this VPN uses double data encryption. In other words, the data that goes between your device and the server is encrypted twice using Double VPN technology. The features include Military-grade Encryption, CyberSec, and Double VPN.
- Privacy protection features ensure that no one can track users’ online activity. The features include a Strict no logs policy, Automatic Kill Switch, DNS leak protection, and Onion Over VPN.
- NordVPN allows users to bypass geographical restrictions and censorship. It offers more than 5000 servers worldwide, Streaming, SmartPlay, P2P and speed features.
- The VPN also offers apps across all the major platforms and multiple devices, as well as extensions for Chrome and Firefox browsers.
NordVPN is compatible with Android, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Linux. It has browser add-ons for Google Chrome and Firefox. The VPN service also supports Windows Phone, open-source and branded routers.
Wide geographical reaches
Performance hits and drop connections
Double VPN for twice the encryption
A monthly plan might seem expensive
User-friendly and pleasant interface
Not clear ownership
3. Unblock and Watch Netflix with CyberGhostVPN
|Price from||$2.75 (-80% deal)
|Oder VPN with a discount|
|More information||CyberGhost review|
CuberGhost is another great VPN service which suits perfectly for streaming online video and browsing adult websites. We like CyberGhost for its reasonable price and great quality. It is not worse than ExpressVPN or NordVPN. The main difference is fewer server locations and servers.
Also, we should admit, that the interface of CyberGhost is just great and might be one of the best in the market.
CyberghostVPN has multi-level encryption and you can choose the best for your needs: PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, and IKEv2/IPSec.
Offering one of the widest geographical reaches
Performance hits and slowdowns
A very informative user interface
Not many personalized options
Easy setup and quick to start
Rough reviews by third-parties
Our Test results of VPNs in Canada
1. VPN Connection Speed
One of the most important aspect while choosing a VPNs service is connection speed. It is always better to choose a VPN with better internet connection speed. Otherwise you video will be freezing.
If you are already using the VPN service, it is very easy to check the connection speed. Just open https://fast.com/ and start the test.
We have provided you the list of fastest VPN service providers below.
2. VPN Global server coverage
The number of servers around the globe is not very important for using VPN, because it will not change download or upload speed. The main thing is to hide your activity on the internet and bypass blockades.
The importance of server number around the world is that you can connect to the desired country and watch the content that is locked for other countries. For example, if you live in Canada, you cannot watch American Netflix. It is because of geographical restrictions of Netflix. In other words, Netflix wants to show their movies, TV shows, and serials only for American citizens.
So if the VPN service providers have many servers in The United States, you can connect and watch the American Netflix by bypassing the geographical restriction.
Below you will see the list of the best VPNs providers by server count around the world.
3. Multi-Platform Support
The support of the multi-operating system it is important for many people. It is so natural that every person uses different devices with different operating systems. So for families, it is also very important to use a VPN, which supports as many operating systems as possible. One employee likes Android, another employee likes iOS, another likes Windows OS. It is better when your VPN service provider supports more operating systems. You never know what will be your needs after 12 months, right?
4. Customer support of VPN service
There could be various cases when you might need a customer support service. For example, you cannot connect to your vpn server. What to do? Of course, you will try to contact the customer support service. Should be as simple as one, but that’s not true. As you already know, we have reviewed many VPN service providers and we could say something about customer support desks. Let’s see the best customer support table ratings.
Another and not least important option while choosing a decent VPN service is the PRICE. We have seen a wide range of prices while reviewing the VPNs.
The prices vary from 1 dollar to 20 dollars per month and sometimes it was difficult to understand why it so different while service remains the same. Below you will see the table with the best price options of VPN service providers.
The simplest way to calculate the price for the multiple device support is to divide the price from the number of supported devices and you will see the price per one device. It is so simple.
Total Price / Supported device number = Price per 1 device
Very often, a VPN service provider offers super deals on sale. Try to visit every website and find the best deal of that day. Trust me, it is worth your effort to get a real deal on the price.
We would not recommend you using Hola VPN furthermore, because of its very low-quality service with poor security solutions.
- You are risking to compromise your online privacy and security because it is not encrypting your data. Hackers can anytime to steal your data if they want.
- You are sharing your computer and internet resources. It slows down your computer and internet speed a lot.
- Hola is logging and keeping all your browsing history (IP addresses, pages you were visiting, the time you spend on it, your credit card and payment information).
- Moreover, your data will be constantly shared or sold to third parties (marketing and advertising agencies, analytic companies and other), including and government agencies if it will be necessary.
- The service will not allow you to unblock Netflix, because almost all entire network is blocked.
- Also, forget about the safe torrenting, because it is not supported.
- Moreover, there is no customer support, so if you have technical problems – do it yourself.
We could add something more, but we think that this is enough for you to understand that this is a time to choose much better alternatives to Hola for your one security purposes and of course – to Unblock the Netflix!
What else can I do with the VPN?
VPN could be using various reasons and it can help you:
- While you are on the go by securing your connection in public Wi-Fi hotspots;
- For entertainment watch IP TV, unblock Netflix, Instagram
- Using for torrenting;
- Protect home devices, like smart TVs;
- Watching privacy sensitive websites for adults.
- Also, check our section about the best no-log VPN.
Before we didn’t even hear about the VPN, but nowadays many users cannot imagine their internet without a VPN service. Especially those people who live in the countries where laws are very strict and content censorship is in the first place (China, South Korea, Iran and so on).
How to set up a new VPN for watching Netflix?
To set up a VPN it is a simple process and you don’t need any special computer knowledge. You just need to pick up a desired VPN provider and do the following steps.
1. Go to VPN service provider website:
2. Subscribe to a service. You will receive a username and password.
3. Press download the VPN software.
4. Install it on your computer or smart device.
5. Enter username and password.
6. Select server from the United States and connect to it.
7. Open Netflix.com
8. That’s it, Enjoy your Netflix.
This process will take for you around 2 minutes. You will have 30 days money back guaranty if you will not be satisfied with the service. I think that you will be satisfied because we have picked only those VPNs which are trustful and worth attention.
Our security team at Reviewed by Pro constantly tests new products in order to provide you with up-to-date information and reviews of the latest Internet security and antivirus applications, privacy solutions, recovery tools, and other utilities, not just for your Windows PC, but also for your Mac and Android devices.