The igfxTray.exe is a software element which is developed by Intel Corporation. igfxTray means Intel Graphics System Tray Helper Icon and is created for the module Intel Common User Interface. The executable appears on a system as a component of Graphics Media Accelerator Driver and is shipped together with NVIDIA graphics cards and Windows drivers for Intel. The process displays an icon in a Task Manager, which also provides users with a direct access to Intel Graphics configuration.
A number of Windows users discovered that a dialogue box of igfxTray starts to multiply when the system starts. In addition, it prompts a security notification. It does not even matter what you are going to choose ‘Run’ or ‘Cancel’, because the alert will prompt again when the system will be started next time. It is worth to mention that the program is a genuine process of Intel Common User Interface, it can cause some issues and conflicts with the system.
Check if the igfxtray.exe process is authentic
In order to check if the mentioned executable is authentic, and any malicious application does not disguise itself under the name, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Task Manager and select Properties.
- Navigate to the General tab and check the location of the executable. The location should be C:\\Windows\\System32.
- Once the location is verified, choose the tab Digital Signatures. Click on Details in order to see the details of the signature.
If the igfxTray application is in a valid location and passed the details check, it is a legitimate process which cannot harm your computer in any way.
If the security alert prompt whenever you start the computer and it starts to annoy you, you can exclude the igfxTray.exe process.
Method 1: Use Windows Defender
- Press Windows + S and in its dialog box type ‘Windows Defender Settings’. Then access the app which returns on the result.
- Open Windows Defender Security Center
- Select the ‘gears’ icon at the bottom-left and press Virus and threat protection settings, then click Add or remove exclusions under the Exclusions.
- Ensure that the process is located in C:\\Windows\\System32\\igfxTray.exe, and click add an exclusion following by Process.
- You can exclude the process by using full path name, or just the name of the process, or put a star in the extension space. Once you added the extension, restart your PC and see if the issue has been resolved.
Method 2: Use System Configuration
- Press Windows + R and type ‘msconfig’.
- Under the Startup tab uncheck the igfxtray.exe process underneath Intel or IntelCorp.
Method 3: Use Registry Editor
- Press Windows + R, then type ‘regedit’ and press Enter.
- Navigate HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run.
- Remove the entry C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\igfxpers.exe.
- Restart the system and see if the problem has been resolved.